1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

can you eat the meat?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by the taxidermist, Mar 6, 2012.

1. proof

proof New Member

We have been eating it for years. Just make sure you cook it,

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Knock yourself out, Euell Gibbons.

3. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Ive ate it no big deal, you can tell by looking at it if it's good or not. The next time you buy hamburger at the supermarket think about that
    15 year old cow that they ground up to make it. Flip a coin

4. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

when that burger at the store starts to look grey they grind it again to red it up and back out on the shelf.

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

..and we wonder why folks look at taxidermists in an odd way... :-\

You gonna eat that? ;)

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

They make new Pheasants and Ducks every year, no waste at all. Bob, if the Bomb hits, there will be lots of people to eat, so many fats ones around, only the outside will be toasted.

7. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    and scrape the mold off the cheese and put it back out.

8. LOL!

9. tracy

tracy coon dogs

and scrape the mold off the cheese and put it back out.
    [/quote]
    got two 5 gal buckets of that sitting here i use in my fish traps
    and it smells soo good

10. bob wendt

you ought to ride aroiund in the truck all day with a big jar of coon bait on the dash. I`m not a saying I did ,and I`m not a saying I didn`t.

11. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

I have done it a few times with turkey breast. But they were fresh. I once made moose bell and matzo ball soup. Ahhhh just kidding. Doesn't that sound good though?

12. Yeah, exactly. I was on the meats judging team for years when I was college and spent a lot of time in the slaughterhouses. What you're picking up at the supermarket, in those nice sterile plastic foam containers all nicely shrink-wrapped... isn't necessarily what it seems. I've seen people sneeze on beef carcasses, seen them drop onto the floor in a pool of blood/guts then hung right back up like nothing happened. I'll take a wild harvested bird that's been in the freezer any day over the trash that the USDA passes off to us as "food".

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK now that we've gone from the roadkill to the conspiracy theories, let's get reaistic here. IF and, that's a BIG IF, the groceries were ignoring the USDA guidlelines, why would you even be concerned since you're wiling to eat meat from a bird that was killed and frozen intact for months, I don't understand your concern. If YOU want to eat stuff like that and convince yourself it's "safe", I'm not going to step in YOUR way. Just don't expect ME to eat a platter of it you've fixed.

American people are candy assed and it's taken 3 or 4 generations to get that way. I've been in Southeast Asia and seen women washing clothes on one side of a city fountain while women on the other side were collecting drinking water. I've seen them drinking water out of the clongs between rice paddies. All of the residents seemed quite healthy. Yet I was dumb enough to buy a bottle Pepsi that was chilled in a bucket of ice, and just the condensated water on the bottle game me amoebiosis that nearly killed me. I've been to Japan where the sidewalks serve as covers for open sewage and when typhoons strike, people are warned to boil their drinking water because the septic wastes overflow into the drinking water supply. I was shaving one morning and heard a splash behind me only to turn and see a huge rat emerging from the toilet bowl. I bought a head of lettuce in Tokyo and when I opened the cellophane wrapper and started to pull the core out, the entire head of lettuce imploded. Inside it were 3 huge green worms that had eaten the inside of the lettuce away. You show me one American who wouldn't have (1 puked his guts out or (2 immediately thrown the lettuce away.

And Andy, about that mold. I hope you're a city boy and don't know any better. That mold is what MAKES CHEESE. In fact, Blue Cheese is blue simply because the MOLD IS LEFT INTACT INSIDE IT.

As I said, I'm not so hungry that I would eat ANY remnants of ANY animal brought into my shop. I don't care if they leave 20 pounds of neck meat in a deer they just shot, it goes into the waste container and gets taken to the local butcher shop where a rendering plant makes scheduled pickups. So if I serve wild game at MY HOUSE, it's going to be FRESH GAME I took myself and prepared. It's not going to be shop scraps.

14. cht

cht New Member

Well said George

15. Can sure see many have never been through tough times in their life.
    I was on the edge. ( I remember the whole family taking a bath in the same tin tub, near the heater. With the same water. My Dad was always last in.)
    Money was tight. Nothing was wasted. ( There was no left overs.)
    Many forget so fast. ( People wast far too much now days. ) We are in such a soft world. Machines have taken over our lives.

Times may turn south on us someday.
    Past were tough times. But they made tough Men and Women.
    Not sure these times we are in no, are making as many tough Men and Women.

I know. I was not able be get my own kids or grand kids to follow in my foot prints. Save their money, like I would have liked to see them do.
    Those Good Old Days, were not that far back.

16. cht

cht New Member

I have some Roman Noodles I can spare.

17. duxdown

duxdown New Member

OK, I may be from KY and I grew up poor, probably more so than most here. I would consider eating the meat, IF I was truly hungry, and didn't have other options, but you know what, I do so I don't . If you ever did get sick, om gosh it isn't pretty. Poultry whether chicken or quail spoils quickly, why would you risk it. Some guy brings in a still warm bleeding turkey and says i want a mount, i will say hang on let me get it skinned, well if he didn't want it then MAYBE!

As George mentioned in a round about way, our digestive system has gotton soft these days and it wont tolerate the same nastys that they can handle else where. I was in South America and saw 1st hand some of the same conditions mentioned in previous posts on this topic, but did I join in? NO SAY'S I!!

18. hardcase

hardcase I can do all things through Christ.Philippians4:13

NC
    Not worth the risk, how clean is your work area and what diseases have came in contact with it and your skinning instrurments. We as taxidermist shouldn't allow or eat anthing that comes off our work benches by anyone, we aren't slaughter houses and I suspect that the fines could be large, why not return the customers meat with their mounts, because we don't want to be liable

19. bob wendt

lol, scare tactics, playing the disease card. I don`t dip my wild meat in the sewer or the toilet or anything like that. it`s a far stretch to compare kiled wild game here, to sewers in asia. no sweat off my back who eats what. I`ll outlive the whole lot of you face mask glove wearing eat out of a box club. but thats the glory of it, we can each do whatever we want. I do! put me in a cage with 10 live big tom bobcats, by and by they`ll all be dead and reduced to bones and I`ll be fat and sassy. when nothing but the bones are left, I`ll crack them and get that month old marrow. and it will taste real good.

20. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    No kidding George ,Ive been on and around the farm my whole life and i do know better, but you still can't SELL it covered with mold. Fyi i would have bet a $100.- that you were the
    one who would say something. lol