1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

PENDING NEW WORLD RECORD TUNA!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rdasbro, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rdasbro

rdasbro New Member

;D I put a post about this in Current Events, but didn't get quite the response I expected. :D :D :D so here it is for all you fish guys.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/32964/anglers+738-pound+pacific+bluefin+tuna+may+be+biggest+ever+caught/

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

That's a nice one! It'd be a fun fight too.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I wonder if he knows the fish itself would not be mounted.

That a lot of tuna to be wasting even for a mold. Tuna that size are worth a lot of money.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Every year, the first auction of a Japanese-caught Pacific bluefin tuna attracts the attention of the sushi-loving nation. And for the past four years, the winning bidder has been from Hong Kong - a significant blow to the national psyche. The Chinese company, the Taste of Japan, set a record last year when it paid nearly $396,000 for a 754-pound tuna at the first fish auction of 2011.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/corbin-hiar/why-did-one-japanese-bluf_b_1190704.html

5. rdasbro

rdasbro New Member

I would hope that the tournament people would reazlize the worth of this fish on the market. Aside from that I cannot imagine bring this fish aboard an 18 foot boat! My boat was 25 ft and only had a 6 foot deck from the helm to the stern. Incredible! I would hope they took approriate measurements and photos for a replica mount and were able to preserve the fish for the market!

6. I am thinking the replica will do the fish justice.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,298129.0.html

That is a LOT of money in Tuna Meat there though.

7. So can you guys in the states sell your catch if your an amateur fisherman?

8. rp

rp Member

Makoman is doing the replica for him

9. In Wisconsin I cannot sell a fish unless it is farm-raised. Only exception is rough fish like carp - don't think anyone would pay for that! We usually use them for fertilizer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Each State, ( 50 of them) has their each individual laws on selling fish, some states border the same waters, and the fishermen have to watch where they fish to stay legal. Some States you can not sell wild game fish, other States you can.

11. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

you cannot sell tuna fish in maryland.....you can't keep shad...you can't keep herring...even the carp has limits now ......and the list climbs every year here

12. makoman

makoman Member

Hi All, some info on the tuna I'm mounting ,the guys on Western Break were fishing for a Black Marlin when their bait was taken ,they didn't see the fish untill they got it to the boat.After 40 minutes the fish had died and had gone to the bottom so they had to plane it back to the surface .then towed the fish back to the weighstation.The boys had an awesome 7days with 9 strped marlin to 145kg (8 were tagged) 1 sword 120kg the Bluefin and to top it off a 358kg Black Marlin which I'm also mounting.
    Here in NewZealand amatures arn't allowed to sell the fish they catch,Marlin are not allowed to be sold unlike the States ,and IF YOU GO ON A CHARTER BOAT THE FISH YOU CATCH IS YOURS !!!!!! it is not the for the skipper to sell at the markets.
    As a Taxidermist of large game fish I get it all the time ,'oh what a waste' well it would have tasted good for awhile ,filled your belly for awhile ,given you some protine,but in the end what do you turn it into??? all lasting 8hours, atleast when a fish like this is treated as a work of art it will last a lifetime . What is a waste is selective fishing where anything but the target speices are returned to the sea dead !!!!!

Cheers Kevin
    Art of Fish
    NewZealand
    Facebook Art of Fish Marine Taxidermy

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Speaking of freshwater, some states don't even allow the sale of farm raised fish other than for stocking except certain species. Alabama, Mississippi, And Louisiana are three of them. Not sure about mounted fish.

14. Thats interesting. Here in Australia as in New Zealand as an amateur fisherman you cannot sell you catch. Big fines apply if caught doing so.