1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Restoration of a 50 year old skin mounted Atlantic Sailfish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Kevin Halle, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

The first pic is what it looked like when it came in.
    The second pic is after it had been stripped and the sail, pectoral fin, feelers and eyes had been removed. The new sail is installed.
    The third pic has the new pec, eyes and feelers installed.
    Pic four is the entire fish with a coat of shellac.
    Pic five is the primed fish.
    Pic six is cleaned and ready to paint.
    Pic seven has the base coats laid down.
    Pic eight has the stripes and ready for gloss.
    Pic nine is glossed and ready to go home.

Attached Files:

2. Kevin Halle

Attached Files:

3. Kevin Halle

Attached Files:

4. makoman

makoman Member

Way better Kev!!

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Nice job Kevin

6. Thats alot of work Kevin,,,Great job.. :)

7. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Kevin.....super job...however, 13 bars on a Sailfish, and the replcement dorsal color is way off....not saying you did a bad job, just want to point out what I see could make a better redo....well done

8. Kevin Halle

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

That fish looks great! Awesome restoration!

10. rp

rp Member

good save look way better

11. Amazing! Great Post! love the step-by-step pics.

12. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Kevin...as I posted above.....SUPER JOB!.....I was only pointing out that Sailfish have 13-14 solid vertical stripes and between them are broken spotting....my monitor resolution is fine, and my comment on the dorsal sail is accurate....it is much more purple than what you have.....I was only trying to point out some things that would make your effort even better than it already is......also, the pictured mount has White Marlin feelers on it rather than those of a Sailfish....I was in know way trying to insult you after the great restoration you did

Attached Files:

13. Kevin Halle

Thanks for the compliments guys!

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Sail color looks pretty darn close to me.
    [​IMG]

13 stripes?
    [​IMG]

15. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Once again Kevin...great job!...I am sure Cole you have seen plenty of Sailfish

Sailfish, Istiophorus platypterus: The Sailfish is characterized by its enormous sail-like first dorsal fin which is much taller than the width of its body, runs almost the length of its body, and has many small black dots more common at the anterior end. The coloration of the Sailfish is dark blue dorsally, with a bronze color lateral band and white underneath. The Sailfish's dorsal coloration tends to be more purple than blue. It's upper jaw extends into a long rounded bill which has a circular cross-section and is twice as long as the lower jaw.

The Sailfish has two keels at the caudal base and two anal and two dorsal fins with the second anal and the second dorsal fins being short and concave mirror images. The Sailfish's fins are generally black, but the anal fin base is white. The Sailfish has long pectoral fins and extremely long pelvic fins that are twice as long as the pectoral fins. Its sides have 13-15 rows of vertical bars that are complimented by light blue round spots between the bars. The lateral line is readily visible.

The Sailfish is a tropical and temperate water species normally found above the thermal incline in the first 100 feet of the water column in both oceanic and inshore waters. It prefers water temperatures of 21 to 28 degrees Centigrade. The females release 4.5 million eggs annually. The Sailfish feeds on halfbeaks, mackerel, mullet, needlefish, small tuna, cephalopods and crustaceans. The Sailfish is not easy to confuse with other species due to its enormous dorsal fin. The Sailfish is a highly prized targeted species of sport anglers.

16. Kevin Halle

OK, first off marshy creek, nowhere on my post am I asking anyone for a critique of a fish that was mounted 50 years ago. It is meant to share with others what can be done with an old skin mounted fish. I don't know how familiar you are with these fish but I am sure that if you google sailfish whether it's Atlantic or Pacific, you can find a ton of pictures and articles to copy and paste. I am very familiar with what a sailfish should look like. Thanks for hijacking this thread!

17. Nice job on the restore Kevin

18. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Great job Kevin...........

Fantastic job!

:)

Kerby...

19. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Ok marshy creek

Let's see some of your work

I would love to see some from the master

Carl Lewis

20. Perca