1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DIY Shoulder Mount Plaque

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Taxidermistjohn, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hey guys, a few days ago I had an idea to make a plaque out of some scrap pieces of wood around the shop. It turned out great, so I thought I would share the process in case any of y'all would like to try it.

Ok so first things first. Select your desired material. I chose to use red cedar.
    Now, make sure you have enough for your final measurements. I made sure mine would be at least 18 inches wide, and 22 inches tall.

[​IMG]

Next I used Elmer's wood glue and applied an even coat on each side of the wood joints and applied clamps and allowed it to dry over night.

[​IMG]

The next morning I removed the clamps, scraped the excess glue and sanded it generously to remove any left over glue residue. (note-I didn't sand the back since it wouldn't show when displaying. However I recommemd scraping the excess glue off to insure a flush fit to the wall)

[​IMG]

After I was pleased with the appearance I found a plaque to trace to give me an outline to follow on the band saw.
    When cutting the outline on the band saw, be sure to leave space for error, I left about a 1/4 inch.
    Once the shape is cut out sand, sand, sand, and sand until you cant sand anymore.
    Make sure your edges are smooth and have a nice shape for the router to round over.

[​IMG]

Now you are ready to route, pick out your desired bit, and have at it.
    After I routed it, I hit it with the palm sander again to get it as smoothe as I could.
    Once I was happy with it was time for polyurethane.
    I did one coat of polyurethane, let it dry, sanded it with 220 grit paper, and applied another coat.
    Then the next day I sanded it again with the same paper and then applied finishing minwax.

And here's the finished product.
    [​IMG]

Like I said earlier it turned out great, and I couldn't be happier with it. I can't wait to put a big mature white tail on it for display.

2. fishmedic

fishmedic R.I.P. Alli !

That's Awesome!!

3. Excellent job and a beautiful piece !!

4. Thanks so much! It was alot of work but I am so proud of it.

5. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Good Job -- Like like the wood!

6. Thanks for all the kind comments!

7. There might be a small market for those,that is beautiful wood !!!

8. I may have to look into that. this was very inexpensive to make. just time consuming.

9. akcowboytrapper

akcowboytrapper New Member

those look nice really nice in cedar great work do you use biscuit in your joints or just glue?

10. I just used glue, but I'm sure a biscuit joint would make it a little stronger.

11. vmarzilli

vmarzilli New Member

The biscuits wouldn't really make it too much stronger but would definitely help you align the boards when gluing, = if you don't have a planer much less sanding!! If you do use biscuits just be careful to cut them so they won't be visible on the edges once the shape is cut, it's an easy mistake to make. Also, if you do have a router, make a pattern out of a stable material (plywood, mdf, etc.) use a straight bearing bit with the pattern to shape the plaque after it is rough cut on the bandsaw, much less edge sanding. If you were to fine tune your process you could potentially knock out a dozen of these in a day, finished! I have quite a bit of woodworking knowledge, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Vince