1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtann

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by deerslayer584, Mar 9, 2012.

1. deerslayer584

deerslayer584 New Member

has anyone tanned a deer hide with krowtann and been able to get it soft I've got one in krowtann now and was wonderin if i would be able to soften it and what would be the best method Thanks for your help

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The softness comes from you, not the tan. All tans dry stiff. You have to break the leather, just like breaking in new boots, a new ball glove, a new leather belt, you make it soft by working it, bending and breaking the fibers.
    Tru Bond has a tan specifically for deer back skins that require less breaking after the tan, but Krowtann will not make a soft skin.

3. deerslayer584

deerslayer584 New Member

its an extra skin i have and going to tan it and use it to pratice using a fleshall mini shaver on before i use it on a cape. Hopefully i can get it soft enough for a rug or something Thanks

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

For more Imfo ; call the number on the bottle and talk to them on what your doing !

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

KT skins dry hard as a rock. Have fun with that.

6. Nana

Nana New Member

I have had decent luck tanning small skins with Krowtann and breaking them for hats and such, but they are not all that soft. I did a bear that way and he ended up soft enough to drape over the couch, but not REALLY soft and nice.

7. I've tried it. It's a disaster. Even when stretched, it's still very hard, stiff and unruly. Plus after a while the skin turns a greyish-green color. There are tans specifically for soft-tanning. Use one of those, not Krowtann.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

At the risk of repeating the obvious, Krowtann IS NOT A TAN, per se. It is a hide preservation method. It is a strong "pickle tan" and because of that the hide won't dry "soft". It must be oiled and broke to get some semblance of softness. A true tan won't dry soft either, however. They, too, need to be broken and oiled and broken some more before they become baby-butt soft and supple.

9. deerslayer584

deerslayer584 New Member

thanks all i've got a few more guess ill order a kit and try that

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I'm not a KrowTann advocate, but I can tell you that you need to get a bottle of Krow Oil if you want to soften the skin. It is a really good tanning oil. I have done a few furbearers using it, and they were relatively pliable. You deer skin will need to be shaved well before oiling if you want it to be soft and pliable. You will have way more "elbow grease" in this project than it's worth. If you want a quality soft tan, send your skin to a tannery.

11. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

and krow tann will burn your skin were good gloves..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freddy :'(

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.332041463514939.88309.100001272645476&type=3&l=3bc591e054

12. irishme

irishme New Member

[b][b]??? kROWTANN
    SUCKS-----------------PERIOD[/b][/b]

13. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

x's 2 on that

14. livbucks

Never ever had a bad result at all with KT. Works for me flawlessly everytime.
    I wouldn't use it for a throw or rug though. Go with Lutan IMO.

15. irishme

irishme New Member

NON-TANNED SPECIMENS ARE MOUNTED EVERYDAY.
    SAD
    IT'S ASHAME FOR THOSE CUSTOMERS WHO ARE UNAWARE.

16. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Wow, I wasn't aware that there was a law requiring that all specimina to be tanned..

17. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There are lots of things that customers don't need (or want) to know, and method of preservation is one of them.

18. livbucks

I have one on my wall that is six years old and it has not changed one iota. Misinformation is sad.

The customer should be less concerned with preservation processes and more concerned with the artistic ability and workmanship of their chosen taxidermist. You can have the "best" ...."TAN" going and produce a hideous looking mount. Those are the customers I pity.

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Absolutely Greg. I have a few DP mounts over 25 years old that look like they did (bad) when mounted. Most deer need to be remounted after20 years because of fading and better forms anyway. It has more with artistry than method.

20. livbucks

Still, I wouldn't do a rug or throw with it. I have come to understand the difference and while KT works well and holds hair very tight, it dries rock hard. You need an actual "TAN" to get that breakability and softness. Would you DP a rug? Same thing.