1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dead Mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Mike, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

I'm about to attempt my first dead mount and was curious about setting the eye lids i've never read any topics on this subject and need to know are you to pin them or just let them dry naturally or will they shrink and distort from the drying process? and setting the legs and wings is everyone wiring them or mounting it through a body wire through the shadow box or whaterever you are mounting it on? any help would be appreciated

Mike

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

Hey Mike if you like, check out my website, there is a dead scene with some hungs, sharp tails, and a pheasant. When I so my hanging dead mounts, I pose the lids 1/2 open or closed, I don't pin them, just adjust as you normally would anyother eye, just not wide open or alert.

3. Brian F

Brian F New Member

I do wire the legs and wings...and pose however. Typically I hang by the feet with leather braid. then I'll run a screw into the bird from the back of the base, just to hole it down. on the eyes...close up the lids until they look dead. simple as that. good luck

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I do both with the eyes, some times I leave them 1/2 open, some times I close them. If I leave them 1/2 open I give them a light coat of Elmer's glue to frost them over for a more natural look.

5. Mike

Mike New Member

Thanks for the info. guys its appreciated

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Want great reference material for a dead mount? Pull another one out of the freezer, thaw and hang...better yet, get a fresh one this fall, hang and take lots of notes and pics. ;)