1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Out of the bottle WT eye color

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Hedhuntr, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Wondering if anyone is making an out of the bottle WT eye paint? Perhaps one in the darker and one in the lighter color?

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Yes...and no. Out of the bottle as long as you use 4 or 5 bottles. There is no one magic color, it takes layers to create a convincing eye color. Using just one color, no matter what the color is, doesn't work.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The skin and hair color around the eye is different on every deer. Ranging from very white to no white at all. Why do you want one color that fits all? Your job is to match colors with what the deer gives you, not paint by numbers.

4. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

The same could be said about Yox nose pad grey but someone stilld makes it.

5. Yox's color is just that, one color to help you get a natural look. All areas you paint will take multiple colors to get the best look...not just one.

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Not much use for Yox nose pad grey unless Yox has taught you how he uses that color. It works for him and his method. I would think most would never figure it out on their own without his direction in how he uses it. It's not just another color. It has a specific use.

7. X2 on what everyone has said, you have to use multiple colors to achieve the look around a deers eye as well as the nose.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Who says you can't add black, dark brown or umber to it? Who uses it straight? Other than Bill.

9. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

I do layer and i do have to different base mixes i use. One has more nutral gray and the other has more dark brown to it. Then shade with those base colors from there. Ok so no one makes it.

Thanks for the info

10. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Ahh the magical yox grey. I don't use it but I love the fleshy look guys can get toward the bottom of the pad using that one color.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Not sure how we got on the subject of noses but...

...that is crap. I've never been taught by Bill how he does noses and I use his grey color on every deer I do and I'm confident I get a pretty nice nose. It is a great color, but it's no different than any other color, it has to be applied in layers with other colors. I use at least 4 colors on every commercial nose I do, and more on competition noses. They are all applied in layers, and some more than once. Yox's grey is a great color, but not by itself.

It's magic Kyle...magic.

12. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

mixing paint of any color should be the pre requisite of any wildlife artist.......transparent layering can be achieved with many mediums.......depth and dimension has been a focal point in flat art for hundreds of years.......no one color does it all......it's the artists interpertaion on what he see's.......and how one can duplicate his perception of the task at hand

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

To answer your question, no, there is no one color. In my courses, we use 4 colors just on the eyes alone reguardless of the wt. As for the nose, I have developed a base color that will give you depth and different tones on the nose itself. It has be refined and will continue to get refined. Sorry, I don't share it unless you take the course.

14. antlerman

No Cole..it's not magic. Bill has a distinct pattern that he uses that color for. He was blending that color himself. He was talking to WASCO about blending it for him for consistency. They did that for him. The next thing you know WASCO offered the color to everyone and named it Yox nose pad grey. It is an all ready blended color as is right out of the bottle. He doesn't layer colors to get that color, it was made for his technique and the way he uses it. I have seen enough of your work to know that you are talented enough to get an attractive desireable effect using whatever you decide to use. I have no question of that. My point was, unless you know how Bill uses it, I doubt you use it as he does. He does not layer that color. He uses it in a distictive pattern and it is not layered. It is preblended to his specifications. Of course you CAN use it anyway you want, but it was blended to be used as is and NOT Layered, but used in a distintive pattern. I thought you saw him paint at Cindy's and would know how HE uses it in that distintive pattern. Guess not.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

No I did not see him paint at Cindy's, that's another story for another day. LOL

I have however read his Breakthrough article where he first paints the nose flesh, then LAYERS over the top of that his grey on the nodules. Does he still do it that way? IDK and you do. Your comment "Not much use for Yox nose pad grey unless Yox has taught you how he uses that color." is what hit me wrong. There are plenty of uses for that color whether Bill has taught you his methods or not. Hell I use it for fish as much as I do deer, and I promise you Bill didn't teach me that. ;)

16. antlerman

Point taken, and I'm sure it can be used anyway you desire anywhere you desire to use it. I'm talking about why that color came about and how BILL uses it in a particular application, and how it got it's name. Hell it may even be a good color to paint my old truck with, but TO BILL it has a particular use, and HE does not layer it. He paints a pattern with it and THAT was it's intended use in the beginning anyway.

I too have a blended color that I use myself, but my name isn't Yox so I doubt it will ever be blended for me and have my name on it. LOL You'll just have to take MY class to get it, right Matt. LOL

17. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Hilton eppley had lifetone making a whitetail brown that is a vry good starting point for around the eyes of whitetail.

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Tim, So Bill paints a WT nose using no color other than that grey?

19. antlerman

NO, thats not what I said.

I said: (he uses the grey to paint a distictive pattern) on each individual nodule.

Those on the lower part of the pad and along the tracks.

I will add this as a side note. I have seen many many people paint deer. I have never seen anyone paint one the way Bill does. It is his own unique method and style. Unless you have seen him do it, it's hard to comprehend. Which he laughs at, because he thinks we all should be doing it that way, which we don't, just him. LOL

20. I think we can at least all agree that every one of us have our own artistic way of doing our noses, eyes, fish, etc. No one color or combination of colors or pattern or style is the best. That is what makes us artists and not assembly line robots. All of you guys do outstanding work and I bet you all have a different way you go about doing your work. As long as you keep getting satisfied customers and are happy with your technique then I think that is what it is all about.