1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2nd coyote please critique

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Crystal L., Mar 11, 2012.

1. Crystal L.

Crystal L. New Member

Just finished my 2nd lifesize coyote today. I would appreciate some honest critiques. I want to get better, so let me have it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Looks stunning from here, but would help to have more close-up photos. Did you use an artificial or real nose? It looks good!

3. Crystal L.

Crystal L. New Member

Thanks for the response. I used the real nose.

Attached Files:

4. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

Looks very good, cant wait to see your third!

5. for a 2nd mount you did good.

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Can't see much from the pics but the ears look too high, like they aren't attached at the ear canal. The hair inside the ears needs back brushed while it's still wet. The whiskers look a little haphazard. It could use some grooming, especially in the face area. The feet look flat, especially the back ones with the weight they are bearing.

All that being said that's a pretty darn nice coyote mount. I like the attitude of the pose and face. Good job!

7. u2cme21999

u2cme21999 New Member

Looks great ,Like the pose, and the eyes ,very nice.good job on the base also.
    u2 :)

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

ears are on top of the head to much.....otherwise, a great second attempt

9. huntiholic

huntiholic Member

agree with the ears... although its better to have them a little to high than to low and sticking straight out.. overall very good... agree with cole a little more grooming on the whiskers... like the box as well!

10. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Very nice for your second one. I agree with Cole's feedback on the ears. If you made that change you would be amazed how much better the mount would look. For being so new to LS mammals, you are doing really nice work. You obviously are using reference and you seem to be gifted with a good deal of talent. Look forward to seeing your mounts get better and better.

11. Crystal L.

Crystal L. New Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. I see the things I need to work on now. Could you explain a little more on the ears. This is one of the reference pictures I used. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That's a much better pic for a critique than the others, I'm not sure why you didn't post it first. ??? The ref pic you posted is a young dog. That's why his ears are so large in comparison to his face. I didn't say yours were too far apart, just too high. Only you know if your ear canals attached (without me feeling it), but that's how it looks to me. The dogs right eye is looking to his right, and his left is looking straight ahead. You can see in your ref pic what I was talking about with the inner ear hair needing back brushed. Also, notice in the ref pic that the area between his nose and mouth is hair to hair with no skin showing. You have to cut a small slot in the manikin and I use a bit of clay as well to get that to look right. Some grooming would make it look nicer too. The eye lid shape is nice, especially the dog's left one. I wouldn't show quite that much sclera for a forward look eye set. In fact I wouldn't usually show any at all, or maybe just a sliver depending on attitude. It does have a nice K9 shape to it and looks quite convincing. Like I said above, it's a nice mount. Good job.

13. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    Overall very nice job. In addition to the suggestions above, you might experiment with tipping the outside corner of the eyes up a bit more on your next one.

14. Crystal L.

Crystal L. New Member

Thanks for the suggestions Cole. This is just the kind of help I needed. I like my ear placement...but I think the shape and grooming of them could use some work. But thanks again for taking the time to help.

15. NICE mount, looked like a breather' for a second there! Great job, just that one eye is off a bit is all I can see wrong save the ears :)

16. It almost looks alive. ^^

17. Crystal L.

Crystal L. New Member

Thanks Thylacinelover. I appreciate the compliment

18. No prob. ^^

19. very nice lookin mount crystal. looks alive like he just got focused on somethin then froze. good job for you second! i just finished my 1st. was a fun project am lookin forward to doin more canines. the ears did catch my eye at first and was wondering if they could be anatomicaly correct. i think its a good look i like the ears.

20. Awesome. Great for your second mount. I'm sure your third will be even better.