1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fish restoring

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by cook taxidermy, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cook taxidermy

cook taxidermy New Member

??? ??? ??? well im been doing taxidermy on mammals and been wanting to get into fish and my uncle has gave me some mounted musky and two large bluegills and a very nice walleye and on all of the mounts there is some damage where they have been mounted on plaques and the skin is very flat these our skin on fish also the fins on the back side bad the paint job is not to bad on the front but could use a new paint job and the musky has some body work to be done there is a chuck out of it i will post pics tomorrow is fish Restoration hard?? ive never had to deal with any fish yet but im willing to learn thanks ~Cook

2. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

there was a post on here about restoring a northern pike....check it out

3. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I would imagine you would have a learning curve coming from a mammal background. I cant answer your question as the level of difficultly can vary with each person. It will be more difficult for you because you havent done any fish mounts. I think a lot of renovations are pretty straight forward and actually kind of fun to do, to see that "reincarnation". I can tell you more when I see the pics.
    Here's an example of a gill re-do that, in pic one, I have stripped the paint, cut off the bad fins, and removed the eye. Pic two shows the gill back in the game.....lol.

Attached Files:

4. cook taxidermy

man thats [email protected] good buddy im about ready to post pics thanks for all of the info thanks~Cook

5. cook taxidermy

[​IMG]

walleye good side

6. cook taxidermy

[​IMG]
    walleye bad side

7. cook taxidermy

[​IMG]
    blue gill good side

8. cook taxidermy

[​IMG]
    blue gill bad side

9. cook taxidermy

[​IMG]
    musky bad side piece missing

10. cook taxidermy

[​IMG]
    musky again scales missing and stitches showing

11. cook taxidermy

[​IMG]
    good side of the musky thanks~cook

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Certainly restores are typically easier to do than learning how to mount up a skin from scratch (well).

In the examples you've given I think new paint jobs will do wonders. Let's just say they can't hurt. Don't worry about the backside. You don't get paid for folks to look at the backside of the fish. Get some reference and paint away! Scale tips on the walleye will do wonders. You can go crazy fixing fish like these (there's a lot of things wrong with these mounts beyond the paint) but IMO fish like these aren't worth doing total rip-aparts. And that would be WAY beyond a newbies abilities. Just try repainting the Redear (you should be able to do better than the existing paint job!) and probably just adding paint to the eye. Hard to tell for sure from the bad pics.

Brian - that BG eye is in backwards - lol!

(P.S. J/K, I can't tell from the lo res pic - I would ASSUME you got it right!)

P.S.S. - Cook, just saw your last pics. That's a pike dude. Hmmmmm, you can't hurt anything. IF you screw-up a paint job you can always strip and repaint - lol!

13. cook taxidermy

fish art lol yeah i told my uncle that it was a pike and he's like no its not its musky not to argue i agreed with him lol but thanks for the info man what brand of paint do you guys use? and do ya have any paint schedules for the pike and walleye ? thanks ~Cook

14. Brian W

Thanks Cook....Lot of good paint out there (laquer and Water-based).....Woods and Water, Polytranspar, Lifetone, Hydromist, etc. Like Marrrrrty said, paint would be the biggest thing here. You have an easy fix on the pec fin of the Walleye and a little shrinkage re-building on the head. Not bad subjects to work on.....And Marty, THANKS for pointing that out buddy.....(early reno project in my short tenure)...its just an "optical illusion"....ya friggin nitpicker......lol

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Not to nitpick further Brian, but there's only three "R"s in Marrrty... ;)

16. Brian W

;D

17. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

You might be able to just touch them up with a little color. But if you can't make them look right, you might have to strip the paint off and start painting from scratch.

18. cook taxidermy

thanks for all of the info y'all thanks~Cook