1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Potassium chloride for pickle baths

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jon S, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thought I would repost this on the Beginners page since there was no response in Tanning

I believe I read on here once that potassium chloride could be used instead of salt in baths with the same measurements. Has anyone tried dissolving driveway ice melter for use in pickle and rehydrating baths? I know it would be more expensive than salt, but it would be easier to dispose of. I don't do a lot of mammal skins so the expense wouldn't really matter much. One bag of ice melter would last me a long time, and it wouldn't kill everything on the ground were I dumped it.

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

What brand? Search for the MSDS and see what all is in it.

The one I pulled up lists calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, potasium chloride, sodium chloride and calcium silicate.

As far as being acceptable for a pickle, I've never tried it. Perhaps you should experiment with it before using on a customers piece...

Alternately, you could evaporate your waste solution. The salts will precipitate out.

3. RStanton

RStanton New Member

Check the old archives. It's in there. Thank Bruce Rittel.

4. Cyclone then what you have is driveway deicer, not pottasium chloride.

I use pottasium chloride in place of salt for everything. It is a fertilizer and you can sure see the difference in my pastures where I put it and where I dont!! The area with PC is about 2 feet tall and super lush the other areas are not much.

I pay $8.00 per 50lbs and yea its cost is a bit more but I can pour it out anywhere on my place without killing grass.

5. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Cyclone. The stuff I have lists the ingredients as: potassium chloride/urea/sodium chloride. It is made by Meherrin fertilizer co. I haven't looked up what urea is yet. I would like to experiment on something though before I trusted it.

6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

John C, where do you get 50 lbs of the stuff?

7. countryboy36

countryboy36 New Member

ohio
    jons urea is a type of fertilizer

8. Estes Chemicals. Springdale AR.
    I buy it thru my brother and this is the price I pay him.

potassium chloride/urea/sodium chloride this is fertilizer not straight Potassium Chloride
    Urea is an ingredient in fertilizer basically from animal and human waste.

Urea occurs in nature as the major nitrogen-containing end product of protein metabolism by mammals, which excrete urea in the urine. The adult human body discharges almost 50 g (1.8 oz) of urea daily. Urea was first isolated in 1773 by G. F. Rouelle. By preparing urea from potassium cyanate (KCNO) and ammonium sulfate (NH4SO4) in 1828, F. Wöhler achieved a milestone, the first synthesis of an organic molecule from inorganic starting materials, and thus heralded the modern science of organic chemistry. See also Protein metabolism.

Because of its high nitrogen content (46.65% by weight), urea is a popular fertilizer. About three-fourths of the urea produced commercially is used for this purpose. After application to soil, usually as a solution in water, urea gradually undergoes hydrolysis to ammonia (or ammonium ion) and carbonate (or carbon dioxide). Another major use of urea is as an ingredient for the production of urea-formaldehyde resins, extremely effective adhesives used for laminating plywood and in manufacturing particle board, and the basis for such plastics as malamine. See also Fertilizer.

Other uses of urea include its utilization in medicine as a diuretic. In the past, it was used to reduce intracranial and intraocular pressure, and as a topical antiseptic. It is still used for these purposes, to some extent, in veterinary medicine and animal husbandry, where it also finds application as a protein feed supplement for cattle and sheep. Urea has been used to brown baked goods such as pretzels. It is a stabilizer for nitrocellulose explosives because of its ability to neutralize the nitric acid that is formed from, and accelerates, the decomposition of the nitrocellulose. Urea was once used for flameproofing fabrics. Mixed with barium hydroxide, urea is applied to limestone monuments to slow erosion by acid rain and acidic pollutants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------