1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need help with elephant

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by clinton ms., Mar 13, 2012.

1. I am going to be mounting an elephant,{shoulder mount} and need all the advice I can get. where can i get good reference material and mounting info.

2. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

One skilled enough to mount an elephant should already know these things. It's not a "what do I do?" project.

Internet is full of reference.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Google Images is a great place for reference, also the local zoo if they have one.

4. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

The best piece of advice I can give you is to hire an experienced taxidermist to come do the mount with you. I would not recommend you attempt it all by yourself.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

it also takes more than two hands......you will need help

6. gab

gab Active Member

our story:customer planned hunt and planned our mounting it,we started research just as you are.PH told him noone does skin mounts any more that repro was the way to go.so no skin came back and we ordered a reaaly nice repro from Mckenzie
    PS We've been doing this for 22 years and this would have been our first and we did reach out just as you are.

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I carry an excellent African Elephant photo reference set. ;) If interested, contact me via e-mail for further info. Thanks!

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,277808.30.html Third post ... second line! ;)

8. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I take it you might be from clinton, MS. , is that correct or a bad guess ?
    Anyways like others have said, get extra help, you will need it and lots of elephant glue, LOL
    And do lots of preplanning, like where in your shop you will mount it because depending on how you mount it, it can suck to have to move it around more than once.
    Good luck and enjoy it. It might suck before you are done but you will look back and will have had quite the expirence.
    Also spend lots of time and pictures at your closest zoo, great place to study !!!
    If you lived close to us, we would help you with it.

9. Thanks for all advice , we may be doing complete repo. customer wants ears for another project and tusks on seperate bases

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I don't think there are elephants at the Jackson Zoo anymore. Seems as if they were moved to Nashville. Maybe there'll be a circus coming to Jackson sometime soon!

11. RDA

RDA Active Member

actually a lot of shoulder mounts are done with artificial ears so the ears can be used for things like maps of africa etc.

I can help you out with a SKYPE tutorial on mounting and FINISHING these large beasts, as ive worked on many...

12. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Use replacement ears , mold and cast the tusks, put real tusks on stsnds and repros in the mount. Now you make mo $.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

All great advice, and especially Michael's. Just hire somebody seasoned in elephant mounts to come help you, pay them 20% and Rock & Roll it..... your state association (if you are a member) is the best place to start your search.

14. That's gonna be a tricky one given you are looking for advise so good luck to you with the mount.
    It is not as easy as some may think to pull off a convincing piece given the size and amount of detail. Jerry has a good point, you will save alot of hassle and make more out of it. One word of advice I can share, if i may, is to bear in mind that the natural folds in the skin will let out once tanned so be sure not to mount on too big of a form that will not allow you to work that detail back in, you need loose skin to work with. Other than that, the skin will tell you where the folds go and you are going to need alot of glue. ;)

Trav

15. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I ordered John's elephant set, it was good. I already have many books full of general African reference and there is all ways the internet.

x 2 on what Jerry said. Making things detach will make mounting and moving easier.

Trust me, the actual elephant shoulder mount "can" be done by one person. However, when you need to move the form around a few time, you will need at least 2 persons to help.

Attached Files: