1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Loose antelope hair

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by stoney, Mar 13, 2012.

1. stoney

stoney New Member

I had a customer bring in 3 antelope, the capes were frozen. I started to thaw them out, and there is alot of loose hair coming out of them. The customer said that the hair will come out of them by the hands full when they are alive. I have never mounted a antelope before so I thought I would ask the pro's. Can you pickle them the same as a whitetail. Thanks for any help.

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have had them slip as soon as I shot them. Some do, some don't, but yes you can pickle them like a wt. They are fragile animals to begin with and should be taken care of as soon as possible in the field. If it is just loosing hair here and there, you should be fine. If it is coming out in chunks, you might need a new cape.

3. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

X2

4. stoney

stoney New Member

Thanks guys for the information

5. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

If you look at the root of the hair you will see that it has a very small and delicate attachment mechanism. The hair is hollow also. These things make it "fall out" easily. The hollow hair is an insulation adaptation for the cold prairie winter. The decidious adaptation is thought to be a defensive mechanism, similar to that of doves. When the wolf bites, it gets a mouthfull of hair. Keep the cape as clean as possible while working on it, as the hollow hair will adsorb liquids.