1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New here, Please Critique.( PICS ADDED! )

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jena, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Jena

Jena Member

Ok everyone I'm new to this site.....I have done a lot of reading on here, but I just started my own account on here. But anyways I have my latest mount here ready for critiquing please! It is like my 15th deer ever. I know that the brisket is a bit jacked up, and I am having trouble getting that "soft" look on the eyes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Finally got the pics up, Just scroll all the way down.....And let me have it, I'm ready to improve and your critiquing will help me get there. ;D

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Re: New here, Please Critique.

no pics

3. Re: New here, Please Critique.

You have to put the pics online somewhere. I use photobucket. Then, you can put the images here. All you have done here is tll us where on your computer you have placed these images.

4. Jena

Jena Member

Re: New here, Please Critique.( ADDED PICS )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jena

Jena Member

[​IMG]

6. ryanstraw

ryanstraw my first brook trout on a fly 13"

Very nice work! I still have to do my first buck I hope it turns out as nice as that.

7. Your earbutts are way too long and are stuffed with too much clay.

8. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

These tutorials should help you with some of the things I see.

http://blueribbontaxidermy.com/ez-nose-tutorial/

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,112882.0.html

do you take rack measurements? as in tips of antlers to tip of nose, burr to eye, etc.
    did you cut a slot in your form for the tear ducts? tear ducts should be hair to hair. It seems like you have some epoxy sculpt in there.

I think you have the basics down but need some tweeking on a few things.
    nose color, tutorial should help with the color.
    tuck tear duct
    antler set, measurement will help
    lip, on sides, tucked hair to hair, should be no skin showing.
    ear butts look a little strong. liners or bondo?
    brisket, you already know this one.
    eyes...I have seen allot worse eyes (even on my own.)
    inside ears, many many suggestions on here on how to achieve correct coloring.
    These are a few things I see, I'm sure a few more will see some things I may not be seeing right now.

Keep at it, a few tweeks here and there and it would make the world of difference on your next one.
    I know everybody preaches "REFERENCE", but it's for a good reason. Make yourself a nice
    whitetail reference book from every up close picture you can nab off the net, and keep it right there when your working on
    an eye or a nose or anything for that matter.

The king of whitetails Mr. Bill Yox could put a deer on here for critique and someone would find something at fault,
    so take it all in stride and just try to learn from it all.

9. Jena

Jena Member

Yes, I do take rack measurements, I still thought the rack looked like it was tilted too far forward....But I tried to get as close to my before measurements as possible.
    I do cut slots in the preorbital glands on the form, and yep that is apoxie sculpt you see in there....I will leave that out next time.
    As for the ears, I use liners with a thin layer of Mckenzie ear adhesive...

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely keep al of this in mind for the next one :)

10. Check your eye set next time as well, right eye is quite a bit lower than the left.

11. Jena

Jena Member

I'm not a very big fan of the smaller forms by Mckenzie, I always have such a hard time setting the eyes on them....
    I'm not trying to come up with excuses for my mistakes, but I've noticed that on the last two of their small forms I used
    I had so much more trouble than I did with The Buckeye forms I normally use.....In my opinion, to me, the yes make the mount
    and it drives me nuts when I can't get them to turn out right lol. :D

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you used clay to set the eyes you can rehydrate them and adjust as needed. Take a damp rag and put it over the area you want to soften and bag the head. The nose is too black for my liking. I use very little black to darken or shade as a final step in painting the nose. The forward facing ear doesn't look turned enough. Make sure you get them turned all the way to the edge. You will likely rip a few holes until you get use to it but they are fixable. Maybe the soft look that avoids you is because of the harshness of the colors you are using. Use flesh colors and then use darker colors to shade it to match reference. I also like the bottom lip a bit more narrow than the nose. On the next one tuck that bottom lip more all the way around. I usually tuck hair to hair and rebuild bottom lip with apoxie. Try these and other suggestions and you should do better on the next. This one doesn't look bad just some tweeking needed. 3bears