1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer "wet eye look" trouble...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by double gun, Mar 14, 2012.

1. double gun

double gun New Member

So I searched "wet eye look" on here, and read I can use several products including gloss mod podge, which is the only one on the list I have on hand. Problem is I dont know how to use it on the eye. I tried to apply a light coat on the eye with a small brush, but it wasnt going on very even. Then I tried to smooth it out, and things just got worse so I quickly removed it.

How am I supposed to do this? Should it be thinned and sprayed? should I have left it to dry and hopefully level out?

Any and all help is great, thanks for your time.

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You don't put anything on the glass, you just clean it.

3. u put it between the eye and lid, a detail bottle works great.

4. double gun

double gun New Member

Thanks guys, glad I cleaned it off. :) Now my question is, I have a mount done by an actual taxidermist up here, and the deers eyes are much much wetter looking than mine. I kept mine clean while mounting, and cleaned them with windex and a Q-tip. They shine but not like his - his look really wet. What can I do?

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

A good clean glass eye is going to look wet, then you can apply gloss with a small brush to just the lower lid and let it run along the lower lid and glass. That is what I do on my commercial wts.

6. double gun

double gun New Member

Thanks Matt, other than using windex on a Q-tip is there another (better) way to clean them?

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

That's what I do, damped not soak one end of the q-tip with windex. Wipe the eye really good, them buff it up with the dry end. If you get some fliers off the q-tip, take a soft tooth brush and brush them off, don't touch the eye with your fingers.

8. double gun

double gun New Member

Thank you Sir.

9. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Matt, you ever tried to gloss an eye with a syringe? I use liquid crystal on all my eyelids and find that i can really make it flow good with a syringe and it never gets on the eye itself.

10. justin_b

justin_b Just sayin...

WI
    Future Liquid Acrylic Floor Wax works well also.

11. Camptrapp

Camptrapp 2011 Wisconsin Open Division Best of Catagory

Glass cleaner that you get from an eye doctor for cleaning your glasses even works better than windex if anyone wants to try it.

12. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

don't buy cheap eyes next time LOL

13. double gun

double gun New Member

I didnt think I was, but I will be the first to admit I dont really know what to look for, and the 2 suppliers I use up here dont have a huge selection. These ones are tohickon 250MD. If you wouldnt mind, I would like a suggestion on "better" eyes for next time.

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks Ted, no I haven't but I have been on the fence about trying it. I normally take a small brush and "drip" it around the lid. I am sure a syringe would be alot quicker.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I use an insulin syringe to apply mine.