1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What the heck kind of crocodile is this?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by PassernCaitlin, Mar 15, 2012.

1. PassernCaitlin

PassernCaitlin New Member

On our local craigslist....what is it and is it legal?? Just copy and paste link.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/clt/2902695366.html

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Re: What the heck kind of alligator is this?

That is an indian Gharial and Im pretty sure it is highly endangered

3. x2 def. highly endagered!

4. GySgt401

GySgt401 New Member

X3

5. PassernCaitlin

PassernCaitlin New Member

Do you suppose it was mounted before there were endangered species laws? Like how you used to be able to bring polar bear rugs and such into the US but not anymore. Are animals like that legal to sell once they're inside the US and as long as they are old enough? I have an ocelot pelt my friend gave me that belonged to her grandma, it's really, really old, and I'm not sure they're legal anymore.

6. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

I would say yes it was, but either way I would steer clear. But thats My opinion.

Since 2007, the species is listed as Critically Endangered on the Red List of Threatened Species issued by IUCN, and protected by CITES Appendix I.

According to IUCN, there has been a population decline of 96–98% over a three-generation period since 1946, and the once widespread population of an estimated 5,000 to 10,000 individuals has been reduced to a very small number of widely spaced subpopulations of fewer than 235 individuals in 2006