1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear Butts????? help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fatjake, Mar 15, 2012.

1. fatjake

fatjake New Member

long time viewer, first time poster. I just cant seem to button this down. Ive used the search button and looked in the tutorials

What is the general rule of thumb for ear butts? I have grasped that a pencil width or less from the antler burr, but what about the bottom of the ear? In most refrence I see the ear butt dosent extend down below the bottom eyelid but most mounts I see the ear butt is below the bottom lid? Also how long should the antler butt be?as in how far from the v in the ear to the side of the face

Sorry for sounding like such a new-be

Thanks in advance

Jake

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jake the ear butt fits loosely along a line from the nare of the nostril through the eye. That line would intersect the crease in the deer's ear butt. SOMEPLACE on here is a picture/diagram of this.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Like George said the CANAL should line up in a line from the nose to the eye. Look for the ear hole placement on a cleaned skull. the butts should not be any wider than the ear itself. AND FOR ME, every live deer I've laid my hands on, doesn't matter the position. there is always about 3 finger widths from the V in the ear to the side of the face. But you may have bigger or smaller fingers, so it may be different for you.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The distance from the crease in the ear down to the base of the skull is 3/4" to 1"???, I think. I've heard this dimension in seminars before.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I couldn't find it on here, but I did dig back through some pictures on my computer and found it. Try this as a reference.

[​IMG]

6. fatjake

fatjake New Member

Thank yall so much

7. fatjake

fatjake New Member

Anyone have any imput on the bottom of the ear butt and the lower eyelid relation? Am I correct? Georgges pic shows it perfectly

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That is my input... "George's pic shows it perfectly."

9. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Call WASCO 1800 334 8012 and get a Redi Mount head for reference.