1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for 54" Muskie form

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jay Addy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

I am searching for a 54" Muskie form. I have searched all the old threads on this site referencing Muskie. From what I can gather, it seems Reihnhart is the only choice. The threads are several years old, so I thought I would ask one more time. Are there any other suppliy companies that offer forms in this size range?

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Try Lake country They have some nice pieces.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I did a 55 inch once. I could have carved it but like the ease of stapling a back seam and the hardness of a commercial manikin. I also don't like using that much foam as I question the cost effectiveness of it. (No offense Ken) I purchased Rinehart's largest manikin, cut it in half and bondoed and wired in a foam piece the desired length to get the 55 inches I needed. I sanded the new piece in and made sure there was no difference from the manikin.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well that's the key Ken, getting a good price on an oversized box of foam. Have you seen the price of shipping lately? ;D

The closest i got to getting one of those blue billet pier foam pieces was I was told I had to buy a minimum of 20. Forget that! So the other alternative for me is ordering a $100.00 piece of foam from McKenzie plus shipping and handling for an over sized box. I do order one from time to time but a fish of that length would take a big chunk out, and possibly screw up any chances of getting many more good pieces for other fish other fair sized fish.

I do carve all my salmonids as they vary so much. Panfish are all done modified half cast.

I rarely modify forms and they are so friggin' hard to cut and rasp anymore! I either order a manikin that fits, carve, or use the half cast method. But for something this big I'd do as I suggested. To each his own right?

5. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have one carved in an attack mode from Second Nature out of WI. Im going to mount it chaseing a dozen 14"-15" Yellow Perch.