1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy Today, Wood Duck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DL, Mar 17, 2012.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I was just reading the headline of an article on Wood Ducks and author said from the taxidermists viewpoint they are among the easiest of waterfowl to skin and mount. Hmm I guess I need to find some Wood Ducks from somewhere else. These here seem to be a little thin skinned here. I better read the article to find out why they are easier than a diver.
  2. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

All I can say, is that he aint mounting the same woodies that I mount.. ;).......DC

3. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

I read that as well and he restates it in the article, so it's not a typo... maybe he's blowing his own horn.....
  4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Toot toot, indeed.
    'Nuf said.
  5. Some people define easy differently than others. ;)
  6. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

x'2 i get about 6 extra to use as replacments
  7. I thought the same thing as I read his article....they are far from easy! I agree with "Feather" ...I wish all mounts were as easy as a Bufflehead. :)
  8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Don't you just love getting a butterball wood duck? You know you better have the needle and lots of thread handy. Mallards with a quarter inch of fat aren't real high on my favorite list. But all in a days work. I do like wood ducks after they're sewed up.
  9. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

my first three birds ever were woodies, just because they are so plentiful here. those birds just about made me give up with mounting ducks all together. it was like night and day the first time i skinned a diver of any sort.
  10. X8~~~~~~~I did give up on doing Woodrow's for awhile. Now I just struggle thru them cause I got to.
  11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

Yes they are a pain. Here in MN they are only shot pretty much in the early season and pinfeathers galore. It seams the more you do, the better you get at sewing the skins back how they belong and not putting less holes or tearing the skin. 3bears
  12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

After doing my first one I thought I had missed my calling and thought about taking up quilting.
  13. wings II

wings II New Member

I've spent the last 9 (going on 10) freakin' years trying to figure out wood ducks and I've learned 2 things: I'm not even close to figuring them out and "easy" never seems to come to mind when I'm mounting them!
  14. cameron2

cameron2 Member

Wodies are, among other things, a jigsaw puzzle. They have 1,000 separate parts, feather tracks, color arrangements, and markings that all have to go back together perfectly to be presented correctly.
  15. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Wet toilet paper w/feathers! ;D
  16. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

I am glad to here everyone saying how much of a pain wood ducks are, I thought maybe it was just me. I hate fleshing woodies and greenwing teals