1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Which airbrush?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Geauxtigers1421, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Geauxtigers1421

Geauxtigers1421 New Member

Been researching a lot lately and watched a few videos now and I'm about to give it a try. In all the videos they just say an airbrush so I went look around and didn't think there would be that many makes/models. I am not looking for top of the line and I want something affordable. Any recommendations?

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Go with a Badger. I have a Badger Renegade Rage and love it.

3. Geauxtigers1421

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Also a compressor

4. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I got the kit from harbor freight, I've seen others on here recommend it. It comes with the air brush and the compressor. I haven't played around with it too much yet, but so far it works, lol.

5. Jdewitt27

Jdewitt27 New Member

I too use a Harbor Freight double action airbrush. I have finished deer and ducks with it and it sprays great. Once you get the needle adjusted correctly you can spray fine to 1" patterns. I haven't had any issues with it and if any thing happens to it, you can take it back no questions asked and they will give you a new one.

6. KYHeadhunter2

KYHeadhunter2 New Member

Not trying to Jack your thread but will the 3 or 6 gallon tanks work as good as the mini compressors? They aren't that much more than the mini size.

7. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

The mini compressors run all the time - they have no tank for reserving air. The 3-6 gallon tanks will fill up after a few minutes and the compressor will shut down until the tank runs low. With an airbrush thats hardly ever. I bought my 3-gal compressor for $39.99 with a coupon. The coupon is in the April issue of Field and Stream but they advertise in all the outdoor and hunt/fish magazines but the ads are all different.

8. Geauxtigers1421

I was looking at the harbor freight and they said something about problems with water shooting out in the paint from a problem with their water traps on the compressor? Is this true and can it be fixed?

9. Geauxtigers1421

And what size compressor would be needed?

10. KYHeadhunter2

KYHeadhunter2 New Member

So the only benefit from a mini would be compact size and mobility?

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If you get a mini, take the money you save and buy a real long hose. That way you can put it in another room and save yourself from going deaf. It will run nonstop. IMO you want a minimum of 5 gallons for sanity sakes.

Get whatever airbrush you want, but get a gravity fed. You will spend too much time changing colors and waste too much paint if you get a suction fed bottle.

If your compressor doesn't come with one, plumb a regulator and moisture trap combo onto it. Then get the cartridge dessicant filters and plumb one into your hose. You will pull your hair out if you do not address the water that will come through your line. Makes for a nightmare when you go close up on your work and a big splooge of colored water flies out of your gun and hits your mount. Have fun but do it up right.

12. socalmountainman

Here's my set-up. I used an old computer desk to put together a roll-around paint station. I have a pressure regulator and dessicant moister trap attached on the left side of the desk and fit the compressor underneath. The power chord and air hose come out the back where the computer cables would normally go. I use Paasche VL's and the two I use (#1 & #3) I can run at the same time with a tee at the regulator. I've had these Paasche's for almost 30 years. Joe

Attached Files:

13. livbucks

I don't like all that organization. It's much too nice. (Kidding you Joe)

SaWEET!

14. socalmountainman

...and a Happy, Happy Birthday to you young man. Mr. Greg, enjoy your day! ;)

15. Geauxtigers1421

Alright thanks! I'll look around at some airbrushes
    And for the compressor... Is there an make and model that comes with a decent one? I'm just getting started and I feel it'd be easier if I could just get a decent set of everything with as little different little pieces to buy

16. Geauxtigers1421

Nice setup!! Thanks!

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Buy the biggest compressor that you can stand, the day will come when you will want to blow up a flat tire, or a bigger job.

18. livbucks

Funny. Tonight my son had a flat and he used my mini to fill it. He had to let the mini fill up and shut off five times to inflate the little tire on his Focus.

19. paul e

paul e New Member

on these little harbor freight models
    is there a regulator that controls it
    turning it on and off at a certain pressure?

20. Geauxtigers1421

And last question, on the harbor model kit, is there a water trap that I could buy to replace the one that come with it? Or another one to add to it so there is multiple?