1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dry tanned deer hide

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mossy923, Mar 18, 2012.

1. mossy923

mossy923 New Member

NY
    A buddy of mine brought a set of nice deer horns for me to do and he said he has a hide for me. He brought over a dry tanned hide. The question that I have, can a dry tanned deer hide get bridle if its been hanging around for awhile ( years)?

2. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

Yes.

I have dry tan whitetail back halves that if you were to handle them, they would crumble into dust or more accurately tear like delicate paper (I know because I accidentally handled one).....They are a good bit over 20 years old though, because I got them when I was 11 and that was well...over 20 years ago. lol

I had a bear skin dry tanned in 2005 that I just mounted this year. That held up fine when re-hydrating and mounting.

So my answer is yes, they can and will become brittle eventually. How long does that take. I'm not sure. I honestly think it varies for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Safe bet is to rehydrate and measure. If it is falling apart, you'll know it pretty quickly.

If it's falling apart before you rehydrate it's probably as old as the deer dust...I mean skins...that I have.
    ;D