1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Marten Softmount (first mount - help)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Candyfog, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

Hi ^^
    I'll be getting a marten pelt in a few days and I want to softmount it.
    I don't really have any questions about the softmount-part.
    My questions are about the head.
    1. With what do I "glue" the head of the pelt to the form?
    2. How big do the eyes need to be for a marten?

Thanks

2. Get some Roman 555 from Home Depot for the hide paste
    Eyes depend on your pelt, so wait until you get that and measure :)
    Make sure you use a lot of reference pictures and take your time! Soft mounts are fun, but they should not be taken any less seriously than rigid mounts. Believe it or not, they're harder to do because you don't have something to hold it's head for you lol Be sure to show me pics! :D

3. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

Thanks for the tips.
    Yes, I will take my time. I'm very impatient most of the time but when it comes to things like this I can be a real perfectionist.
    lol I'll have to find anothe way to hold the head up then.
    I will post pictures of the process. And I guess I'll also need more help later, when I'm actually working on it ^^

First of all the pelt and the headform need to arrive and I'll need to buy a hide paste and a good thread (and the eyes as soon as I know how big they have to be)
    I guess I can start in about two weeks, depending on the condition of the pelt. That's perfect because that's when the school holidays begin.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

9mm eyes

5. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

I found a good onlineshop which sells most of the things I need (eyes, hide paste, head form)
    I can get everything else from my grandparents and my dad (stuffing, thread, varnish, clay etc.)
    The pelt will arrive between 26th and 30th march. I guess he doesn't have a lower jaw so I will have to find a way to fix that.

6. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

[​IMG]

It arrived today. Good news: He has a lower jaw.
    There are a few little holes that I'll have to sew up.
    And I'll have to see if he's rehydratable.
    Looks like it will be a lot of work.

7. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

Taxidermy is a lot of work, lol. But a lot of fun, at least I think so. I'd love to mount a marten, they are so cute!

8. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

lol yeah it is.
    I've sewn up all the holes. I'm not very good at sewing... Still looks okay.
    I recognized that I haven't shown you the colors of the fur.
    So here is the pelt with all the holes sewn up:

[​IMG]

I also bought some 9mm black teddy eyes to see if it's the right size:

[​IMG]

I would say it fits perfectly. The head form, hide paste, eyes and clay will arrive next week. (or at least I hope so)
    Still not sure what I will use to stuff the body.

9. Get Ployfil to stuff it :)

10. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

I just recognized that it'll be really difficult to put the head form in...
    The only way is through the big hole beetween his hind legs. This will be annoying with the clay...
    I guess I'll have to cut from one front leg to the other so I can put the head in from there.
    The person who skinned it also cut through paw pads. This mount is going to be/look really "weird" (unprofessional) when it's done, but I'll still do my best.
    I'm just doing this for myself and because it's fun. So it's okay. =)

11. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

How long does the head (hide paste - Gloufix) need to dry?
    About 7 days to make sure it's completly dry?

12. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

He looks cute! My hide paste dries in twelve hours and then my hides take seven or eight days to dry. Can't wait to see this finished.

13. RageofAnath

RageofAnath Will make art for money or dead things.

His mouth looks pretty big so you can probably stick the head form in the back without cutting the hole, then do all the detail work through the mouth before putting any hide paste on, then use a long plastic knife to insert spread the hide paste (like peanut butter) when you're ready. I've done this for some mounts and its easier than it sounds. It was certainly easier than sewing up extra holes in my opinion, especially with tough leather.

14. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

@ phoenix-cry
    Yeah, he is ^^ Thanks.

@ RageofAnath
    Thanks, this is really helpful !

The head form just arrived and I tried to fit it through the back but it's pretty big and kinda gets stuck at the belly part. And if it doesn't fit through the belly part I don't think it will fit through the neck either... (so no point in cutting a hole there)
    But I'm a bit scared to carve it down... I need to carve it down anyway cause I can already tell that the snout of the form is much too long, but I'm just scared that it will be too small later. If that happens I could just fix it with some clay later, right?

And about the hide paste.
    I bought powder. How much water do I need for how much hide paste powder? It doesn't say it on the box...

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You might give re-hydration a shot.

16. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

The pelt didn't really like that I rehydrated him... He ripped on the sides of his neck as I was trying to stick the head form through. And it also ripped arround the ears. I tried to sew it up as good as I could. Both holes for the eyes ripped a bit, too - both on diffrent sides - so it looked like he was looking to his right... After some work it looks like this:

[​IMG]

I have to admit that it looks better than I thought I could do...
    The pelt also ripped a bit on the right side of the nose so I'm thinking about making it look like a scar. I can't really afford epoxy so I'll have to find another way.
    I also didn't get the mouth to fully close. All in all it looks really weird and crappy. But like I said before: It still looks better than I thought it would... :)

17. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Should inquire about the age of the tan before thinking about mounting in the future, older tans have a risk of not taking well to re-hydration

18. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

Yes, I didn't know how old he was exactly but I knew that he was old and that that would be a problem.
    I will definitely never mount an old pelt again.
    I think I'm never gonna mount any pelt again. It was kinda fun but it's just not for me ^^

19. Ridgeline taxidermy

Ridgeline taxidermy New Member

Rehydrate, the hide will stretch a little, try that before you cut anything or shave your form down might save some extra hassle.

20. Candyfog

Candyfog New Member

Thanks for the tip. It was a pretty old pelt and I had no experience. His face is a mess and his hind legs look like they're broken.
    I give up. Here's a picture of the "finished" project:
    [​IMG]
    I don't think it's worth posting any detailed pictures. I failed but I still love him.
    Thanks anyways for all the help! :D