1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Injecting Roman 555?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by killdeer, Mar 19, 2012.

1. killdeer

killdeer New Member

Hello,

I was just wondering if Roman 555 was too thick to inject into some drummed ears that I am trying to fix on some old deer mounts. I've never used it before.

If necessary, can it be thinned with something?

I tried Epo-Grip thin set, injectable, but it just leaked out of holes in the ear edge as fast as I put it in.

What else can I use? (someone suggested bondo thinned with resin, but I don't know if it will bond the skin to the earliners or just act as a filler). I have used it with the bonded ear cartilage method years ago, but would rather use a true thick injectable "adhesive " to stick the skin to the liner.

Thanks for your help.

2. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

555 will work as is. I do it alot on my small mammals in some areas so I don't have to get glue all over everything while trying to sew them up.

3. Try injecting with 5 min epoxy, you can put in microwave for 5 to 10 seconds (BEFORE mixing) time depending on your room temp. Then pour each one in syringe, inject into area, and if it leaks ,so what, just clean up with thinner after its hard. DON't leave epoxy in Micro wave any longer than you need to, it will melt the container and burn your hands when handling.

4. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

I do it all the time and you want to draw it up without the needle on first. Then put the needle on and inject.

6. I would soak the ear back up where it has drummed before you inject any glues. before you inject find an object that you can place over the drummed skin and use a clamp to hold it in place. I use spring loaded clamp that I bought from lowes and will some times put my flashlight in the drummed spot (with the batteries out) to hold the skin in place and clamp for a few days.

7. killdeer

killdeer New Member

Thanks guys. I picked up a gallon of 555 last night, I'm gonna give it a try. It does load nicely into a syringe. I'm going to heavily pack it into the other split rehydrated ear first, then card it to dry.

I guess I'll inject it into the ear that I already attempted (rehydrated also).

Thanks again.

8. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I guess i don't understand why you guys use Roman 555. I bought a gallon of it and tried it, and i was not at all impressed. It cost me $32, it's pretty runny and it doesn't clean up with laquer thinner after it's dry very well at all.

I use Bryan's supreme from Ohio taxi supply, it's 150 for 5 gallons ( $30 gallon) and it's awesome glue. Cleans up good and isn't runny.

9. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Because it works awesome, costs $80 for 5 gallons, spreads nice, gets good coverage, sticks very well, cleans up with water ;), brushes out of the hair after dried with a comb... What more could you ask for out of a hide paste :) I've never even considered using another hide paste. Are there other good ones out there that are just as good sure but it just makes sense for me to use it and I've never had a problem with it and it costs me almost half what you are paying and probably less than half if you have to pay shipping on it.

10. I've tried it also and like it. I used it and added some dextrin, makes it real sticky, around the edges of a pedestal deer. Gave the paste a little extra tack to hold it in place and no pinning!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I just started using liners on a regular basis, and I have found locally a VERY THIN JElly like all purpose wall paper adhesive it's pink and the consistancy of hair Jel. You can suck it up right through a 18 GA needle and inject it into the drummed areas. It is wet enough that it rehydrates the skin and allows the skin to stretch back into the crease, not just fill the gap with glue. Works pretty slick and a quart was only $8

12. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I called the sherwin williams store today and with a business account it's 120 for 5 gallons. How are you getting it for 80?

13. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

Here's where we're getting it at Dave
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202599484/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

14. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Dave, I get it at my local store for $ 75.00 & free delivery. My store also told me they would match or beat Home Depot's price.
    I don't know the reasoning I get a good price other than I use so much of it. That or the good looking female manager likes me. But I would guess its because I use alot of it !! LOL

15. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Ok i'm gonna poke a hornets nest here!!! I use 555 for everything as well, love the stuff, never have drumming issues on the body. Ears every once in awhile I will have a small issue. Ok here goes the kicker, time in and time out I personaly find my ears look crisper and never drum when I do the same prep but use a 5 minute epoxy. I know if everything fits it shouldnt drum anyway but i have seen it happen on mine and other taxi guys as well.

I go to Hobby Lobby and go to the model dept and buy the Extreme power 5 min epoxy, it comes it two 8 ounce bottles for a total of 16 oz for 10 bucks, works like a charm. Know what they have extreme power super glue for 4 bucks and spray activator to for another 4 bucks. Gotta patch a ear now and then along with other things, it works as good as anything i have used.

Now Im not a pro by any stretch, I can only say what I have observed personaly. As fas as injecting Romans, hmm I suppose its possible through a large enough gauge. I think I would injest something with a faster and harder hold though if the ear drummed on me once already. Just my opinion.

16. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Thanks for the info, i will check it out. If I can get it for that price it's well worth using. I can also pick it up and keep the UPS Nazi's from stickin it in my shorts. :mad:

17. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

You do have to deal with UPS bringing it but the shipping is free so its not on your dollar to have them bring it.

18. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ
    Question for you guys. Roman 555 says it cures in an hour, so do you still have the freedom of taxi the hide around more then an hour? I'm assuming yes because of the hide being wet/damp so it doesn't set as fast.

19. duxdown

duxdown New Member

You are correct you have a couple days.

20. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Depends what it is and how fast the hide drys. Some ears dry within the day and some areas of the hide with thick hair can take upwards of a week