1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Double pedestal mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mr.T, Mar 20, 2012.

1. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

That is exactly where they get the name, and the price.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

These deer have issues, I can do better work, but these boogers fought me all the way. The lower buck I finished it with paint brushes, all of it, as my airbrush clogged for good after the first deer, and now I have a new Badger. Because of doing the rock work first, mounting these without a mounting stand made symmetry difficult to say the least.
    I ran out of time, I rushed the deer, and it showed. My "competition" mount turned into a just complete the dang thing and take it to the show mount. Do I like my mount anyway? Absolutely! No way in hell did I expect a blue with these, I was just hoping for seconds, knowing the flaws that I knew they had.
    The Michigan show does not have an Open Division, and the Commercial division is a waste in my opinion, you get zero points to build toward your award of excellence by doing the commercial division, it is the Special Olympics of taxidermy.
    I am to the point now that competing is going to need some serious dedication and advanced learning, and a whole new bag of tricks. Do I want to go there and pay that price? We will see.
    Thank you to those who liked my mount, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I do.

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

If they gave an award for Artistic mounts in the pro's you would have won!

4. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I think it was sweet too, wish I had something like that in my living room to look at ! Someday !

5. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Paul you the man,Good looking mounts,But you said it all,you knew what was wrong before you took them,But I admired you for putting them in the competition, and I bet you learn some things that will help you out in the future.

At lest you jump in there alot of guys just give up........I think us guys that compete with a deer are crazy, :eek:

6. zubba

zubba Active Member

Still a sweet looking piece T. I'd display it proudly.

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice looking presentation T! Nice work!

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i would be proud to have done that well on those T. nice job. as far as those shows. :p lol.

9. paul e

paul e New Member

T i think the mount is beautiful
    very clean
    i like the way you set the scene
    VERY CREATIVE AND GRACEFUL!

10. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I was told once by a very well known world champion taxidermist how to win a blue in the masters. 1) don't use a WT 2) take a turtle and spray the crap out of it with shelac, done. That will win your blue in masters. Too many judges who have their own view of a perfect WT. Very few turtle experts ;D

11. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Re: Re: Double pedestal mount

I think it looks awesome, is the elk antler real or sculpture over armature?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Skunk River

Skunk River New Member

Very nice! I really like the elk shed too!

13. I also went to the show this year with a bunch on problems, i ribboned high 3rds. I didnt expect to ribbon, i knew what i did wrong, but the best part of the whole thing was pointing out a problem to the judge that he didnt see. somehow i missed a 1/2 tear inside my ear that was hiddin with hidepaste. My whole critque consisted of my eye work, showed me what he was lookin at. Congrates! and i loved the mounts! also agree it was better in person and a great peice.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It is a real Elk shed.

15. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I think they all look great..

Congrats

16. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

Way to go Mr.T. Very NICE!