1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat & Coyote fighting mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jay Addy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

I did these mounts a few years ago and had them on seperate bases. I always wanted to have them together but the bases were just too expensive. I read an article in Taxidermy today on how to make your own base. It was alot of work but well worth it. It looks awesome hanging in my office. I only do taxidermy as a hobby and probably only do 2 or 3 animals a year. I wish I had more time but my job, hunting, fishing, etc.... take most of my time. My next project is a 54" Muskie chaseing a dozen 14"-15" inch Perch.

Attached Files:

2. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

Looks great! Making bases is a lot of work, but it's fun too, lol. I'm slowly discovering all the things I can use to make them. :)

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Member

You did a great job!

4. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

Nice! Bobcat pose is really neat.

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    On your next rock spray Windex in different area's and use a paper towel and remove some of the paint. Would make a world of difference to bring the undercoat highlights out. Unless you were going for a solid two tone color that you have there.

6. thylacinelover

thylacinelover New Member

USA
    Oh wow. I love the color of that coyote. It's gold.

7. Beast Master

Beast Master New Member

Awesome... if possible other poses, would b Nice... Thx

8. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Very creative. Nice job.

9. Jdewitt27

Jdewitt27 New Member

Very cool you should be proud! How long did it take to finish that wall habitat? Also what did you use to "frame" it?

10. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

Very cool you should be proud! How long did it take to finish that wall habitat? Also what did you use to "frame" it?

It took me a few weeks a little at a time. I used a 3/4 piece of plywood, cut out the shape, screwed 2x4's where all the feet are going to be, then wrapped heavy wire mesh around and stapled it to the back of the plywood. Then I covered it with 6x12 pieces of burlap soaked in a mixture of Plaster of paris and yellow dextrin. Then I recoated the whole thing with a mixter of Plaster of paris, yellow dextrin, and paper pulp to give it a rock texture. Then I mixed green, red, & a small amount of black Tempura powder paint together with water. I brushed it all over with a big round paint brush. Did a few coats and then sprayed the whole thing with a clear sealer. Then I drilled holes through the top and through the 2 x 4's where the animal leg wires go in. I didn't even bolt them. They stay fine. Plus if I want to take them off to dust and clean, it's very simple to just lift them off.

Attached Files:

• 128.JPG
      128.JPG
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
    • 127.JPG
      127.JPG
      File size:
      56 KB
      Views: