1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first Turkey mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jay Addy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

Not sure if this is were to post my mount. I love this mount. It's definately one of my favorites. I was going to put it in my office at work but my wife wouldn't let me take it. LOL. Funny how she always say's "that's enough animals in the house" but even she loves this one.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      75 KB
      Views:
  2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You didn't ask for a critique but I have to offer a few tips on making your next one even better.

The bird is a bit "long". It shows with the gaps in your feather layering along the back and in front of the wings. The neck is a bit long and the tail is too far back. A flying turkey almost presents a "saucer" effect. Since the primaries would fold back over much of the tail when standing, you'd expect the secondaries to come over the base of the tail (yours has a gap between them). I do like the paint job on the head, but your skin attachment is showing a few "wild hairs" that take away from the sleekness of the feather line.

I really think this is an exceptional job for your "first" as a turkey can be a bit overpowering.

3. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

Thank you for the constructive criticism George. I appreciate it. Best regards, Jay

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure about the tail position being off. It might be pretty close, but you have the first section of the wing (humerus) angled too far away from the body, and this is causing the secondaries to be in a strange position. The innermost secondaries (tertials) will almost always be touching the body when a turkey flies. They separate a little bit during the upstroke, but even then it is only by a slight amount.
    You nape feathers are too rough around the artificial head connection, just as George mentioned. You could probably fix that spot pretty easily by injecting a small amount of clean water under that skin and wrapping it with plastic wrap for a few hours or overnight. 1 or 2 CCs should be enough water. You don't want it to leak out - just to provide enough moisture to slightly relax the skin.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Hope these help.
    [​IMG]

7. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

sweet pic dl

8. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

x2

9. trapper9990

trapper9990 New Member

I think the mount looks pretty darn good for your first. The wing angle is off a little as mentioned above. But the tail looks very close to me. Maybe slightly off but very close. Good job!

10. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

Thanks, It is the first bird I have done of any species.

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

that's a huge project for a first bird. You did great for a first bird. Mine was a Ruddy Duck about 45 years ago. Things have sure changed.

12. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

The Dan Chase Video help allot. I think I wore it out

13. Congrats on your first bird. looks pretty good. Looks like your fan is spread out to 180 degrees. The flying pics that are posted show the fan to be slightly more closed.

Bruce

14. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Size matters! How long is that beard?

15. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

10 1/2" beard, 1 1/8" spur, 24 lbs.