1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My way to keep the maceration buckets warm during the cold of winter.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Toxic, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I probably macerate about half of my skulls now since I have a good way to keep them warm. I used to not macerate since it was costly to keep replacing aquarium heaters that got broken or burned out from gunk building up on them. Well since I have stopped tanning for customers, I found a use for the fridge (Pepsi) that I used to keep my tans and pickles at 50 to 60 deg. since my shop is not heated unless I'm in it. I use a $15 line level thermostat from Granger and a $20 extra small ceramic space heater from walmart. When I am macerating the temp stays around 95 deg. Can get around 8 large buckets in there easy but don't want to pack it to tight, need air space between the buckets. can use a little improving, but you can macerate during the dead of winter for cheap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all I have going is those 3 sheep, the heater don't run much since its getting hot here during the days now.

2. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    Thats more than a hat rack on your shoulders! I like the idea. You can also use it to double bag and sweat horns off to..

3. Clever use of the box, as well as the frugal heating set up.
    I think, as long as the glass lid doesn't fog up, the 'see thru top' may have advantages as well.
    I'm wondering if you couldn't wire up the pepsi unit's exhast fan to the thermostat, for temp. stability or reduction, in case the bacteria
    start to get toasty. Or maybe that's just a concern of ours down south.

Your idea,...I like it!

4. I use the same heating system for my bug tanks, cheap and works good

5. I've been using an old chest freezer set up as a bug freezer. Works great. I've been keeping mine right around 85 and they are done in a couple days. It has two of the infrared heat lamp bulbs on a thermostat. Works great!

6. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Nice, remind me never to have a pop at your place!

7. coorsguy

coorsguy New Member

Nice setup, Toxic.

I'm more of a Coke guy myself! ;D

8. ah, come on man, just don't mind the flies stuck to it and you will be ok ....LOL

9. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Love when people are over and I am skinning and I grab a bud light, with my skinning gloves and take a sip....you got to have some thick skin to be a skull guy :)

10. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    it only made me sick once, @ the next day I had the flu. So I really don't count it as getting sick over the smell.

11. David Jones

David Jones New Member

Can you fix the pictures in this?

12. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Toxic hasn't been on here since Jul 6, 2014. Would be nice to get those pictures fixed, I agree. Those and a lot of other posts. There isn't a way to get to Photobucket and see them on that site either.

13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Very sad that some great informative threads have been lost due to Photobucket.

14. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Here's the 3 pictures missing from the first post
    upload_2018-9-16_21-33-59.png