1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Duck masters ,, got a questions.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by falco, Mar 20, 2012.

1. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Does anyone know why some of the Pintail drakes, have a yellow tint to their white breast feathers ?
    Can we clean them white ? Bleach ?

its sure not as pretty as snowy white.

Cheers

2. beretta man

beretta man New Member

It's the iron in the water they are hanging out in. Try some iron out.

3. falco

falco Trapping is fun

what is"Iron out" and were a guy can get some?
    Thanks

4. wings II

wings II New Member

falco, I'm just a hobby/amateur enthusiast, but you might also try Winks. It comes in a little brown bottle for about 5 dollars U.S.

You can usually find Iron Out and sometimes Winks at walmart, although my guy at Ace Hardware keeps them in stock for me by request so I know I can always get them when I run out.

I'm told that when migratory waterfowl molt in the upper reaches of Canada and the US, they walk day in and day out on iron rich ground which is pushed into the barbules of their feathers causing "mineral burn". Taking it out not only puts the feathers back to nuptial plummage condition but also seems to make the feathers much easier to groom.

Please post a pic of your bull sprig when he's done!

5. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Unfortunately for us breeders not all blood lines have the pure white breast feathers. If that is the case iron out will not work.

6. SS Taxidermy

SS Taxidermy New Member

Stain away, works great on rust

7. falco

falco Trapping is fun

But I had twp Pintails last year that were shot in Dakota,, and they both had their breasts badly yellowed out.
    cheers.

8. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Product introducers,,, please tell where to get the product from too ;D
    Thanks

9. I get mine at numerous places. Grocery stores have them in the cleaning isle and ace hardware has the iron out and it is called winks. make sure you use it while you are washing your bird and use gloves because it is acid.

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

KMA...."amateur"?.......NOT!....
    do they still make navel jel?

11. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I used to use Tub N Sink Jelly with great results but I haven't seen it in ages. It was pale green in color, and made by the Naval Jelly people.
    Whinks would be my first choice if you can find it, but almost any kind of mineral and rust stain remover will work. Some are better than others. Just be sure you rinse them off completely and try not to let them touch the inside of the skin. They can cause acid swelling.

My favorite method is to remove the stains before I skin the duck. I put it in detergent water in order to get it saturated, squeeze out the excess water, and then apply my stain remover. That way there is no worry about it swelling the skin and I don't overlook any stained feathers that accidentally got turned under.

12. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Winks works wonders in seconds. I get it straight from them online where you can buy larger bottles of it compared to say Wal-Mart.

I skin and flesh first, wash with Dawn, then I just pull the skin out of the water and ring most of the water out. Spray the winks directly to the stained feathers while holding the skin by the wing/shoulder junction. This allows the belly and lower sides to be open to where the winks can easily be applied. I saturate them and slowly ring it down thru the feathers....especially along your skinning line. In seconds the stain will be gone. If you miss a spot then just re-apply a little. After you see it all disappear, then just drop it back into the water for a quick rinse....DONE. Everything should be nice and white again. I have been using it for as long as I can remember with no issues. It just can't get any easier than that. :)

Note: It doesn't work well on dry feathers.

13. You can get Iron out from Walmart in the plumbing depart ment, and Whinks from the house hold chemicals in Walmart, little brown bottle with white cap its in a liquid form and iron out is in a powder form.

14. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Appreciate all your input folks,
    Thanks, I will be shopping tomorrow.
    Cheers

15. schenk

schenk Member

Winks is better than Iron Out, iron out can do a little damage on some feathers and won't let them get smooth sometimes, they stay seperated. At a show a guy was talking about that, and it was the iron out being a little harsh. Winks is instant and easy on the feathers as well.

16. bulldawg

bulldawg Member

I have used whinks as well and works good. I have done it before and after washing but get a little nervous about it so I put some baking soda in the wash to neutralize. Not sure if that is wise or not. Just have heard about the acid swell on the skin like Nancy mentioned so thought it might not hurt.

17. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

FALCO, THESE ALL WORK TO SOME EXTENT. ALSO TRY RIT RUST REMOVER. RIT ALSO MAKES A WHITENER. GROCERY OR DRUG STORE. ANYTHING THAT WILL REMOVE RUST STAINS FROM CLOTH. YOU MAY NEVER GET IT ALL OUT.

18. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Rit ?
    Is that the same brand name as Rit dyes, the powder cloth dye ?

19. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Come on falco, have you seriously ever used or heard of the word Rit anywhere else other than dyes and cleaners. Of course it's the same Rit, use your noggin' !

20. falco

falco Trapping is fun

hahahaha,,,
    in todays's world of products I have to reconfirm things all the time.. LOL.
    The other day My wife asked me buy some salad dressing whe I was out shopping, she said get some Scesar dressing, and I bought the same ,, but wasnt really the same,, had smoked Ham in it and she didnt like it... I dont real lables.