1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Domestic Dog

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Bare Bones, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Bare Bones

Bare Bones Thanks for your input and suggestions!

Yesterday, we had the inevitable happen. A lady who found our web site www.barebonesmounts.com emailed us and inquired about having the pelt preserved, and the skull mounted of her soon to be best friend...her dog, not a person.
    In looking into it, I have found that there are almost no taxidermists who will touch the pelt of a domestic pet. I found one place that freeze dries the entire animal, but, not just the pelt.

For the moment, we have decided to politely decline, but I am interested to see if anyone has come accross this issue, and how you dealt with it.

Thanks,

Bare Bones
    www.barebonesmounts.com

2. lamina1982

lamina1982 New Member

Not really an answer but I work in the veterinary field and lotsa crazy owners out there. I know its crazy but each person deals with loss in there own way i say no reason not to provide the services we do to help them "remember"

3. Bare Bones

I agree completely about remembering animals. I am an avid dog lover, with a Pointer and a Brittany that are as much a part of my family as my daughter. My concern with this one is that if this client wants to have the pelt preserved, she needs to have someone remove the pelt that knows what they are doing. While I am extremely familiar with what we need to do to process the bones, I am not capabale, or maybe knowledgeable would be a better term, as to what needs to be done to remove the pelt in the correct manner for a good pelt preservation. In addition, I can't seem to find any Taxidermy contacts that will process the pelt for her. From what I have researched, there are two issues: domestic pets do not preserve well with standard tanning processes, and they are extremely difficult to mount with the correct facial expressions and character that an owner has seen in their pet everyday for years.

Thanks for the info, and I'm open to any more suggestions that we can receive. At Bare Bones, we are always learning new processes, and key items to increase our effectiveness and quality.

4. I know people who have sent their pets to Skulls Unlimited for skeleton work.

5. Guus

Guus Member

Isn't it illegal to keep the skin of cats and dogs, or is it just illegal to sell/trade them in the US? I thought I read something about that on here. Otherwise it sounds just like another job to me, I have had several people that wanted their dog skeleton cleaned. Mounting the whole animal is something different I think and hardly does justice to the animal in many cases. Ask the customer in such a case to wait half a year before they decide and you'll never hear from them again since they get over their loss and probably get in love with a new pet.

6. Bare Bones

We can definitely do the skull and bone work, but i need a taxidermist that is willing and able to do the hide. Thats the part that I cannot do.

Www.barebonesmounts.com

7. Try asking Sivko, they'll probably work with you. Very friendly staff there.

8. trky

trky New Member

I visited Carolina Furries a while back and they had someones horse or donkey tanning it. They may be able to help you out.

9. coorsguy

coorsguy New Member

Second that on Sivko. Never dealt with them for tanning, but friendly people!

If they can't do it, I'm sure they will be able to recommend somebody.

10. we've had several dogs and a few cat mounts on here that are very beautiful- try using a search and contact those folks about it. some guy i think posted like 3 dogs in a row a few years ago.

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

The biggest issue with pet taxidermy, and the reason none of us go there, is that you will never capture the spirit of the animal that they remember. They think it is a good idea and can not part with their pet. After the work is done, they take one look and tell you that it is wrong, that this is not their pet and they are very unhappy. Freeze drying is better and even they get complaints. This is not a deer, this is an animal that the owner knew every twitch and nuance. Something that a taxidermist can not capture for the owner. She wants her pet back and all you can give her is a mounted dog and it will not be good enough.

The skull is not an issue but tanning just the hide might be. If the animal was done as a mount, that would be legal. I think just tanning the hide would be crossing the line in US law. Possibly being done as a flat rug mount with the head done would avoid this.

12. What she said. You can make it look like a dog, but they want it to look like THEIR dog. Being as its just a tanned pelt, you wouldnt have that issue.