1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best method to repaint a freeze dry turkey head

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by 10inchbeard, Mar 21, 2012.

1. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard New Member

Hey, everyone I had a customer bring me a turkey mount that was done four or five years ago and the paint is coming off of the head. He want to try to repaint it but I'm not sure what the best plan would be. The head is a freeze dried head. Most of the paint the is coming off is the red on the waddles. Thanks for the advise.

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Active Member

Touch it up with a small paintbrush, and if you want to give it another coat of sealer then go for it - just mask off the feathers and the eyes.

FD heads are notoriously bad about shedding their paint. They really need a coat of clear primer before you start, like Krylon Matte finish or something similar. Fungicidal sealer is also supposed to work but I haven't had consistent results with it. Anything is probably better than nothing, though.

3. 10inchbeard

10inchbeard New Member

OK great I was wondering if I could just touch it up or if I would have to repaint the whole thing.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    So Nancy, what you are saying is to seal them like a fish prior to painting. Should a person wipe them down with thinner first. When I use an artificial I do this step. I haven't used a freeze dryed head to date. 3bears

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Active Member

I don't know if it would help to wipe them down with a solvent of some sort, but I don't see how it would hurt. They don't have mold release on them so that isn't the issue, but it's possible that they might have a very slight bit of skin oil. One of the biggest problems is that they like to slip a tiny bit of epidermis. It isn't enough to show oir cause a problem with the details but it's enough to take the paint right along with it.
    I have also heard that you should gently scrub them with a soft brass wire brush before you start, in order to brush off any loose epidermis.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thank you Nancy, 3bears

7. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Cally Morris covered this procedure in detail in an issue of Breakthrough

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Randy do you remember which issue?

9. MRN