1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shoulder mount bug control

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by masterdunbar, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Gang,

I like to bug bomb every shoulder mount I send out the door just as a precaution since I do beetle work and taxidermy.
    what product do you use and how do you apply it?? just want to know if there is something better out there. I appreciate the advice.

Master of Dunbar

2. There was a vendor at the PA show that had a bug proofing dip/process for skins prior to mounting. Maybe contact someone from the PA board and ask for a vendors listing. I just can't remember their name. They had the booth right cross the isle from me.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Go to Lowes. They sell a gallon pump-spray jug of bedbug killer by Eliminator. It's permethrin, a plant derivative that will kill any bugs including spiders. Spray your mount after mounting and before final grooming. This is as close as you can get to long term protection as all those chemicals are prohibited now.

4. jbconnected

jbconnected Member

Hey George, is eliminator the brand name for the sprayer or the bug spray?

5. George

Eliminator is a name brand but some Lowe's have stopped selling the permethrin spray. You CAN find Hot Shot Bedbug & Flea at Lowes. The gallon jug is less than $10. The concentration of permethrin is a bit less but just as effective.

6. jbconnected

jbconnected Member

Thanks. I was looking online & found a deck type sprayer with the eliminator brand, but not a bug spray. I will try to find it in our local store.

7. George

The Eliminator brand is called "Ant,Flea,Tick,&Mosquito Killer". It has a 2.5% permethrin content. The Hot Shot has a 0.2%. BIG difference there. The internet says Elimimator is an exclusive product of WalMart garden centers.

8. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Can I use it on turkeys too?

9. George, so this stuff works for everything it sounds like............case worms and dermestids?

10. George

It is deadly stuff. The Air Force uses it to fumigate airplanes for unwelcome "visitors" from abroad. I've seen mice that didn't make it through that type fumigation. Worms great on hunting clothes as it KILLS ticks and chiggers on contact. Repelled mosquitos.

11. Illusion

Illusion New Member

I don't know about all states or if you can order via the mail but here in Illinois I buy permethrin concentrate at rural king. It can then be mixed to the strength you need. I use it for flea control on the dogs as well as general spraying around the house.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. joebird

joebird New Member

it was Mount medix at the PA show. www.mountmedix.com they have a complete process for killing and preventing bugs. 100% natural

13. Raynewolfe

Raynewolfe TY for understanding things outside our control.

Im sure this wouldnt work.. But.. Out of scientific curiosity... Anyone know what would happen if you mixed something like Sevindust with dp (or even just borax) when mounting..?

14. George

Borax is more effective e alone than Devin. Devin breaks down quickly when exposed to air. Currently(and likely forever now) taxidermists have no "permanent" means of bugproofing. If there's anything stronger and lo Ger lasting than permethrin, is going to have to be applied by a licensed exterminator.

15. joebird

joebird New Member

mount medix products will work. check it out. there is presoak, glue additive and protector. if the mount has bugs already there is mount saver. don't throw it under the bus before you try it. no license needed to apply or buy. call them first if you have questions

16. George

joebird, I'm not trying to throw him under the bus and I'm sure his products do work, but if they don't require a license, they're products anyone can buy commercially. He's like a lot of entrepreneurs. I COULD cut my grass and weed my lawns, but I chose to hire someone else who already has everything I need.

17. Tester1

Tester1 New Member

I have tested Mount Medix products and many other bug products in the taxidermy industry. The Mount Saver kills bugs quickly,(adults, larvae and eggs). The products your mentioning do not effectively kill eggs, that's why the bugs keep coming back, also why professional exterminators want to come back every month for three to six months. The Mount Medix and Knoblachs products are designed and intended for taxidermy use. The other products your mentioning are not. I would advise you to be cautious in using pesticides in ways that are not indicated on the labels. I may be wrong, but I think this is what got Millers in hot water. "Eliminator, "Hot Shot" and "Seven" do not have a listing for our types of applications and needs. You are putting yourself at legal risk buy using these product off label.

Knoblach makes some very good products for prevention, they will last from 3-6 months. The different products Mount Medix offers will last 6 month to a year, some longer. The difference is in the odor. One smells good(MM) and clean the other has a strong chemical odor(KN).
    The protection qualities of Mount Medix and Knoblach products can easily be extended by using a Mount Medix product called Mount Protector, which is a unique product that helps shed dust and dirt and keeps the bug protection going indefinitely (when used every six months).

The folks at Mount Medix are helpful and have a lot of experience with treating bugs. There products are new to the marketplace but have been in use for quite awhile, by a few exterminators and one taxidermist. They have a website and a toll free number, as well a s knowledgeable customer service, contact them, it's what they do.

The previous comments about not needing a license are accurate. The Mount Saver is classified as a pesticide, but because of its composition is deemed exempt from registration. I does work and has been specifically designed for the taxidermy industry. It is a very effective and specialized product, for more information check out the article in Issue 104 "Winter 2011" of Breakthrough Magazine. As far as I can tell, this is the first product line since EU, to offer long term bug protection.

Read the article, keep informed of new products and keep your clients informed. Honestly with products like these on the market, we should not have a bug problem in our industry. Its taken twenty plus years, but with some diligence and attention, we can help our clients protect their trophies. If we take the proper steps in our work with glue additives and hide soaks and the clients do routine cleaning, this issue could be completely resolved. It's not expensive and will not add any additional steps. However the cost of infestation can be very expensive.

As a closing note, be cautious with permithrin and pyrithrins. They are not the friendly chemicals you may think they are. Check out the web about recent cancer studies in our canine friends. The finger seems to point at the permithrin family of chemicals. These compounds are fat soluble, meaning when they get into your body they are hard to get out. If you use them, use a respirator and do the applications outdoors. One good this about these products is they break down in air and sunlight pretty quickly. But that's why they only kill existing adults a few larvae and don't really impact insect eggs. Also, or those of use old enough the remember chlordane and more recently diazanon. These were readily available chemical pesticides that were deemed safe and turned out not to be.

18. George

Tester, I get this nagging feeling that your post might be parochial rather than objective. ANYTHING that kills any other thing can cause issues, but to embellish your product at the expense of others is misleading. Permethrin will kill both eggs and nymphal stages. Most of us hunters saturate olur hunting clothing with permethrins and the ONLY warning on the label is to avoid cats and fish. I had to laugh at getting into "legal" problems by using off-the-shelf products. When the label on the Hot Shot product tells you that for "carpet beetles (we call them "dermistids") and clothes moths" to hold the nozzle close and spray until slightly damp usually implies that doing so won't harm you. I didn't see any warning about walking barefoot over my carpet.

And that cancer issue is bullspit. EVERYTHING we use can cause cancer according to "the state of California". Hell, drinking water from a plastic bottle or a metal container causes cancer.

19. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Joe, it seems you have a lot of insight on mountmedix. Can you guys give me a deal on shipping? I was on the website getting ready to check out with a 12 OZ bottle of mount protector and the shipping to Indiana was as much as the product.

20. Tester1

Tester1 New Member

Mr. Roof, I am presenting objective information gathered from a decade and a half of testing. My company tests many products for the chemical industry, agricultural products , glues and adhesives, pigments, pesticides, household chemicals and medical products for a wide variety of clients and distributors. I am not endorsing any product, only stating that products from two companies(Knoblach and Mount Medix), that I do not believe are related in any way, have products that work well and are relevant to these threads. I have tested products from both companies and as stated before there products perform as claimed. Maybe you missed that point in my long winded previous posting!!!! Since Mount Medix is fairly new to the marketplace I don't think many people are aware of their products, though I thought Mr. Bloomquist did a good job of introducing them in "Breakthrough Magazine", check it out. Knoblach Products have been sold for a while, and are widely distributed by large taxidermy suppliers, they need no introduction.

Clearly you have a dominating and respected opinion on this forum, which while respected and having some validity, doesn't present objective information about available products for this need or an opinion about products specifically designed for this need. I really don't care what or how you apply chemicals to taxidermy, as a chemical industry professional, I'm just cautioning others that there is some liability involved in following your advise for clients, especially since there are products from multiple companies available to specifically address infestation in taxidermy. Personal use is a different issue altogether.

As far as label claims, i would say only this. If its not on the label for a product as an approved application and one of your clients gets sick or even thinks they get sick because of it. Your clients lawyer will likely have a field day. This liability doesn't apply to just professional use pesticides, it applies to all chemical, agents and materials we use as "Professionals". Label claims and approved application types would indicate that specific testing and relevant safety data exist for that application. When performing work outside of tested criteria, you will assume the risks for the application. You may have the scientific background and testing facilities to provide this important safety data and background information, but most people do not.

Permithrins are not the answer, anyone who has used them knows you will have recurring issues with infestation. It simply doesn't break the lifecycle chain!! Thats why repeated applications are necessary. As far as permithrins killing eggs, you better do some research, because published egg kill rates aren't very impressive. Admittedly it will kill some of the eggs, but so will soapy water and soybean oil. Anecdotal experience is not a substitute for scientific data. Be cautious about you advice!!