1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finished up some detail work, just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Taxi Jeff, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Taxi Jeff

Taxi Jeff New Member

Finished up some detail work, just wanted to share. This was my first. I know there are some things to learn, but am pleased with the first.

Attached Files:

• 1r.jpg
      1r.jpg
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6r.jpg
      6r.jpg
      File size:
      70.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

First mount?

You did a really great job!!! You should be very pleased!

Sure it has it's issues, which you seem to know about, but it's not nearly as bad as most first mounts. Mine looked like "My favorite Martian"....I had to label it "Whitetail Deer" so people knew what it was. lol

One tip right off the bat that will improve your finish work is to use a moist paint brush to smooth out your filler around the eye or inside the nostrils, etc. Had you smoothed better around the eye, your eye would be pretty awesome. Did you use wax? I like apoxie clay around the eye and anywhere I don't want overly "shiny".

Also watch the ear edges more closely and study the shape if you're using bondo, which it looks to me like you are. Earliners will make your life easier and mounts more accurate. Check reference on your earbutts as well.

I didn't really start improving my anatomical accuracy until I got 3d reference casts. It helps to be able to hold something in your hand, understand how it's shaped, about how big it should be, see where the muscles lay, etc...pictures are good, but 3d helps me far more. May help you the same.

It's also obvious that you put some time into the brisket, which is often neglected or forgotten about. Just study the reference on it and make sure you're hitting certain marks with certain hair patterns.

Overall, for a first, I'd give you an A!

Do you have the Rick Carter A-Z DVD yet? If not, get it!!!

3. Taxi Jeff

Taxi Jeff New Member

Oak leaf, thank you for taking the time to give me great feedback, and very useful constructive comments. much appreciated!!! Yes it is my first, I took a class from a gentleman that has been in the industry for 30 years and there were only 3 of us in his class, so we got a lot of good training. I did not use wax on the eye, I used apoxie sculpt and safety solvent to smooth out. looks a lot bumpier in the photo than i ever realized. I may go back and smooth that out and retouch.
    as for the ears, yes i did bondo, looking back at the process, bondo did a great job, but for my 3rd mount I am going to use liners, looking closely at the mackenzie bases and liners that they currently are promoting heavily. the sculpted ear puts will help me nail down the butt shape. my second mount i also posted today, named "something different" was a bit more successful with the ears, not wavy at all. those were bondo as well, but i wanted to learn that process and am lookng forward to the mackenzie liners and butts. My second mount i did was a cape in horrible condition, looking back at that one, it was difficult at times, but i learned alot, and was a great test to see how i could add the life back into the mount. i would recommend everyone takes a very damaged cape and attempt to see what they can do it it. great learning tool. thanks once again for the great feedback. very professional. i appreciate it!!!

4. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Take your time and split the ears all the way. It looks like you did not get them turned all the way to the edge. That's why they are curling.
    When you have them inverted, you will see a white line.....and you'll feel a 'flap' on the hair side. Keep opening until the flap is no longer felt and you should have it opened far enough at that point.