1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by aspenangler@hotmail.com, Mar 22, 2012.

1. aspenangler@hotmail.com

aspenangler@hotmail.com B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

Is there one optivisor that stands out above the rest or are they all about the same?
  2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Re: Re: Optivisor

Biggest difference in any of them is magnification and fit/look. You can get some wal greens readers that work pretty well also.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Do not wear them too much, you'll ruin your vision.
  4. What if your vision is already ruined. That's why I need them. I just had this discussion with an optometrist. I need 1.25 diopter for reading. I asked her if it would be alright to use a higher diopter for up close and personal work, ie scale tipping. She said it would be better if I did rather than putting a strain on my eyes. I don't know????
  5. I ask two different eye Drs. the samething and they said its just fine for the closeup work. One of them does fine detail gun engraving and he bought one of them. So it must be ok.
  6. aspenangler@hotmail.com

Thanks for the input!
  7. den007

den007 Active Member

Get the best lenses you can afford. I am terminally near-sighted and can do most all work without lenses. I have tried plastic optivisors and found them a pain in the neck. I also get optical migraines from too much close work, and cheap, plastic lenses can be a strain on the eyes.....like looking through carnival mirrors. harbor freight is good for a lot of stuff. Eye care is not one of them.
  8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I've been looking for something for close-up work too. But, I think I'm going to buy one of those table lights with a magnifier on it. Unless you need something for magnification all the time I just can't see wearing one of those things on my head all day. I'd get headaches and they flop down all the time and the one pictured looks like a P.O.S. I'm going for a quality magnifying light with some good glass. Price doesn't matter if it works well and it's tax deductible!
  9. I want one too!!! Have you found any?
  10. trky

trky New Member

Marty -I use one of the lights with magnifier on it. Be sure and get a good one . I am constantly having to readjust it because the arm and brackets arent strong enough to hold it in an extended posistion.
  11. FishArt

I actually saw a couple of nice ones (I think) last time I was in Iowa City at Dick Blicks. Kind've pricey, but yeah I too would love to see a few people chime in about these things and which brands and models are the best ones out there. I saw a few online that were very expensive but they had good glass lens and some of them had a smaller, beefier magnification built right into the lens. A magnifier within a magnifier if you will. Seemed like a pretty good concept. Sometimes seeing where to sculpt in missing scales and/or tipping scales can be very difficult in spots. (And actually with tipping for me I've found that as things stand, a moderate light and checking at an angle to the fish is best - too much light reflects and makes it harder to see. I've even tried bouncing light like in Art Galleries with no luck. But, I have noticed good magnification w/o extra light for tipping seems to do the trick) So, yeah, if anybody has used any of these table lamp magnifiers, please chime in...
  12. cwebs

cwebs Member

Magnifying light with the round florescent light are nice BUT will show the colors wrong unless you can get the studio light tube that has outdoor like colors. Studio bulbs do come in 4 foot tubes and are much brighter also. I do use them. I don't know about incandescent bulbs when it comes to showing true color. Someone else can chime in on that. Carl
  13. aspenangler@hotmail.com

Great info guys! I leaning more and more towards a table light with a magnifier.
  14. I have a table/desk light with a magnifier and while I use it a lot, I find when working on carving projects It is a little constricting. You only have a small area under the magnifier to work in and then you have to move it to get back into focus. Overall, I guess I prefer to work with an Optivisor. Then I can just turn my head a little and don't have to be moving the work all the time. As someone mentioned, the springs do not always hold it where you put it and it will move up or down and at times a little side to side.

Just my opinion, but if you go with the table light and magnifier get a very good one.........

15. FishArt

Carl, I think you need to be conscious of that and that's a good point. But, as long as you remember that colors will be slightly different I don't see it being much of an issue. Colors used will be mixed and checked outside of the magnifying area prior to using...
  16. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

I have jeweler buddy that got me one about nine years ago
    Kind like the optivisor but the lenses are glass
    Was very pricey but you get what you pay for
    I would suggest checking with a local jeweler

I love mine