1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shipping costs Stink !!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by waterfowl-artist, Mar 22, 2012.

1. waterfowl-artist

waterfowl-artist New Member

I ordered 18 lbs of straight wire from Van Dykes, and the total was 89.05, and shipping was 50.34.(roughly shipped 250 miles, outragous, USPS) Mckenzie now owns Van Dykes, and are opening a distribution center in in Red Lion, PA this fall, so they not only added 6% sales tax on the purchased, but they also taxed the delivery charges too ! Why would anyone open a business in this state , Ill never know (PA business taxes are one of the highest in the country) This wire was sent from North Carolina, why would PA be entitled to sales taxes on this purchase when the distribution center hasnt even opened yet ???? I am going to look around to buy my wire locally if possilbe, anybody out there doing this yet, and where do you get it ?????

2. If you have your sales tax license then McKenzie wouldn't have charged you sales tax. They should have sent you a request for the form they need if you were already a customer of theirs.

On another note, I just ordered about the same amount of wire and a lot of other stuff, $1,000 worth actually, from Research Mannikins and the total cost of shipping was $0. I also saved another $120 by ordering $1,000 worth of stuff. Saved over $300 total.

3. waterfowl-artist

The sales tax is my fault, I forgot McKenzie owns just about every Taxidermy supply company in the country !

4. They also own this site!

They don't own:
    Research Mannikins
    Matuska
    Head Quarters
    Jonas
    Ohio Taxidermy Supply

Straight Wire from:
    McKenzie, WASCO, Van Dykes: $4.25-4.60 per lb.
    Head Quarters: $3.95 - Would have saved you at least $5.40 before shipping.
    Jonas: $4.25-5.25 - Would have cost nothing to at most $18 more before shipping.
    Matuska: $4.95 - Would have cost you no more than $6.30 more before shipping.
    Research: $3.10-4.25 - Would have cost you about the same to $20.70 less before shipping and if you made that order about a week ago it would have cost you $50.34 less to $71.04 less counting shipping.

I'm just saying there are ways to avoid certain costs, and ways to get things cheaper from other supply companies as well as McKenzie and the companies they bought. Every time I make an order I have a system I go through. It may take me a couple hours, but I usually save myself a couple hundred dollars over just straight ordering from one company. That is money that stays in my pocket. Only about $300 worth of the stuff I mentioned purchasing from Research was stuff that I needed now. The rest was stuff I knew I would need at some time in the future, concentrating on things that weighed a lot or for some other reason cost more to ship. Also, I do not adjust my prices down to accommodate the savings I made. I may not be able to get those savings next time, so my prices stay based on the most it might cost me to do the job. Since I knew I was only going to be ordering from Research, I cut the time in half for what it would usually take me to make a large order. Mainly because even if something was a little more expensive than somewhere else I was going to more than make up for it with the free shipping. So basically I made $300 an hour making that order.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Chris you must have an old catalog. Headquarters is actually $4.50 per pound.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Really??? I guess a lot of people who are independent suppliers that I order from do not know that. I saw 4 booths out of the 80 or so at the Pennsylvania Taxidermy Convention with the banner McKenzie or Van Dykes hanging over them, the rest were other suppliers.

I do not know about Pennsylvania, but in Texas if you have a business license YOU DO NOT PAY SALES TAX. Chris Neff above has a business license in Pennsylvania and he does not pay sales tax so.......

As far as the wire goes, many Ace Hardware stores and others sell straight wire.

Its funny, you said McKenzie added the 6% sales tax, no they did not, the State of Pennsylvania did. Also you said McKenzie charged you $50.34..... did McKenzie charge you that, or the United States Post Office???

Supplys are high, shipping is higher. Raise your prices or find another line of work where you do not pay to keep a business operating. Not being a smart ass, just being honest. Also, order your supplies during the season where you get your deposits. Fuel is generally cheaper in the winter time, hence cheaper shipping costs.

Our retail stores here ship in items from distribution centers out of state. Why would a Taxidermist bitch about buying supplies from a distribution center licensed to operate in their state, but not also bitch about having to pay sales tax at other local retailers who have their goods shipped in from out of state?

Last but not least, I hope all suppliers grow, I just hope that they can put up with the $hit taxidermists tend to give anybody who seems to find success in this business!

Anybody remember that one fruitloop who said it was McKenzies goal to put Taxidemists out of business?! LMAO!!

7. Sorry George, scratch those numbers, I think that is a 2010 catalog. Point is still the same though. Also, before anyone else brings it up, I'm not sure if Research sells wire by the pound so there might be some difference there. The free shipping would have put them lower no matter what on 18 pounds of wire, but that does show another good point there George. McKenzie and their companies might have the lowest price on wire.

Also noticed that my McKenzie, Jonas and VanDykes catalogs are from 2011 so they may be off a little too. I know there are other suppliers too, and so on and so on. I think I should have taken Yox's advice again... Type it, Delete it, and click the back button! These threads never end up good.

8. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Well, here's something McK DID do. In contracting with UPS, ALL shipments, regardless of location, ship residential, which, unless I'm mistaken, is a higher rate than commercial. I was informed of this as I made an order yesterday.

9. waterfowl-artist

I just thought the shipping was a joke, who knows what the Post Office charged, no amount printed on the shipping container. I just have my invoice from Van Dykes, thats all I can tell you. As far as the sales tax goes, I just have a problem paying this PA state sales tax when the distribution center isnt even open yet ! Yes, well if there is free money to be had PA will find a way to get it ! I have always beeen happy with dealing with Mckenzie, fast shipping and high quality products. As far as raising prices, Im up there about aversge, and right now Im not gonna go there. I dont want to get into the pricing runaround right now, its like beating a dead horse on here ! No, Ill stick to doing taxidermy for now, after all nothing like being your own boss ! Oh, I did talk to a guy in Nevada and he was nice enough to direct to a local place for wire. Not trying to open a can of worms, just felt the need to let other people in on these high shipping prices!

10. mislynx

mislynx Member

Straight Wire WHY buy a coil get over the straight ,cut what you need save money.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Mislynx is correct on that, you can but coiled wire at the hardware store.

LOL

12. I know a lot of people dislike fedex for whatever reasons but I wish more businesses would offer fedex as a choice- I used them for the first time ever shipping a horse and a lion skull, something that USPS would have wanted about $50+ per box and with fedex it only cost me $35 total.

13. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Take your piece of wire, cut to desired length, tighten one end in a vice, put other end in your drill. Run in reverse for about 3 seconds or so, this will make the prettiest, straightest wire you've ever seen. Scott Olson taught me this trick, no need to buy straight wire. This is what I use on all my birds.

14. Why reverse?

15. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Better shipping and handling from our suppliers than FINGERHUT.The little woman ordered some junk last week to the tune of $15 shipping and another 30 plus cents for handling.try adding that to your customers cost.At least miy regulars would go down the road or up it a few miles.Oh yes Ill stick to Taxidermy whether monopolized or not.I do believe this whole world and all business's hasnt solved economic issues with the only answer is raise your prices.I too feel the pain especially being a low volume buyer.

16. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I think it sucks that with McKenzie your only choice is UPS. I don't understand why they would be motivated to only have one shipping option for their customers . I'm sure it's easier and more cost effective for them to deal with one shipping company, but I would think they would consider their customers in decisions like that.

17. Distribution center is being worked on right now in CampHill PA, should be open mid summer. McKenzie sent a letter out, all you need to do is send a copy of your sales tax ID, and you wont get charged tax....

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Try this on the next on line order to McKenzie, go to the comment box and request a different shipper. It is how I do it. I am fortunate to be in Speedee's area, but need to request it. 3bears

19. I always ask for FedEx and get it.

20. some companies will not ship Fedex, but never had a problem with McK not shipping Fedex if I request it.