1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leaving in pickle

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by karter77772001, Mar 23, 2012.

1. karter77772001

karter77772001 New Member

I was just wanting to make sure it is safe to leave a deer cape in a pickle for more than 5 days as long as the ph is at or below 2. Is this do able or does it need to be removed for this weekend?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. You can leave them in a pickle for quite a long time. I do this part time and have some personal skins that have been in the pickle for 6 months.

3. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I left my doe cape in the pickle for an extra week until I could get to it. It will be fine.

4. karter77772001

karter77772001 New Member

Thanks for the quick response that what i needed to know

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. jorgy

jorgy Member

Just make sure you keep an eye on the pH. I have had one in there for about two months now and wont get it out for another month when I need it.

6. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

If you watch the PH or just drain the pickle and seal the container I have had skins in pickle for over 18 months before.

7. bowhunr

bowhunr New Member

You're OK as long as you keep an eye on the ph...but, if you are not going to be working on it for a while my suggestion is that for the amount of time it takes, wet tan it then freeze it. This way you don't have to worry about watching the ph and risk losing it. Just my opinion though.