1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Post some of the things you have tanned yourself!!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Daniel M., Mar 23, 2012.

1. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    I just thought it would be fun to see what other self-tanners have done :)

I do send some stuff out, but tan most of my own skins. I really enjoy it, especially shaving them. So if you want to share anything you have tanned (doesn't matter how you tanned it) then please post here...

I'll start with a few of mine:

Squirrels
    Foxes
    Coyotes
    Mink
    Bobcats
    Lots of WT Capes
    Lifesize WT and Axis deer
    8 leopards
    horse cape
    donkey cape
    3 wolves
    Black bear
    Black wallaroo
    Giant Spur Thigh Tortoise
    Eland bh
    Waterbuck bh
    Kudu bh
    Wildabeast bh
    Impala bh
    Blesbok bh
    Bontebok bh
    Baboon
    Anteater
    Caracal
    Spider monkey
    Sloth
    Giant Squirrel
    Raccoons
    Rabbits

Some more...

Lots of chipmunks
    Several badgers
    3 kinds of Mongoose
    Mule deer capes
    Pronghorn
    Dik dik
    Patagoinian Cavies
    Hedgehogs
    Prehensile tailed porqupine
    5 Servals
    3 Coatimundi
    Hog capes
    L/S sheep
    L/S goats
    Tiger cub
    Hammer head bat

2. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    A fox

3. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

A few squirrel, deer and coyote tails. My white tail doe cape, and a life size coyote.

4. juniper

juniper Active Member

Here are some off the top of my head.All with Lutan and neutralize after the Tan LOL

Squirrel
    Foxes
    Coyotes
    Mink
    Bobcat
    Lots of WT Capes
    and Mule deer too
    wolves
    Black bears
    Raccoons
    Ermine
    moose
    lynx (Several)
    fisher
    Otter
    Beaver
    Martens

My fleshing machine was the best thing I ever bought.

5. irishme

irishme New Member

??? I feel this post has no value without posting pics.
    Just a suggestion

6. Daniel M.

Ohio

I agree, I just don't usually take pictures of the skins I tan. Although I did find some.

Attached Files:

7. Daniel M.

Ohio
    Couple more

Attached Files:

8. Daniel M.

Ohio

Attached Files:

9. Ok, now what were those? Especially the 1st one? Looked like a baby leopard or something, is that spots that you can see thru the skin?

10. And where are you getting baby tigers? I want!

11. Daniel M.

Ohio
    The first one is a baby serval that I took to the World Show last year, and the baby tiger was a still born cub from my tiger. He was born during one of the worst hail storms we have ever had and he got stepped on during the excitement.

I got a blue with him at the National Show :)

Attached Files:

12. Wow, good job! They look small enough to freeze dry, that would make a very cool show room piece. Do you come by stuff like that often, and if you do any rough idea how much one would cost?

13. Daniel M.

Ohio
    Thank you :)

I don't get many at all, they are very hard to come by and all the ones I do have were given to me by close friends. If you can find some for sale, they must come from the same state that they are sold in and can only be sold to a resident of that state.

And you better have paper work stating all of the sellers information and their signature stating that they have it legally. It's cool having these beautiful animals, but it's nowhere near worth it if it's not legal :)

14. As a person who owns one, can you sell the live ones across state lines? And as for selling he hides or dead ones couldn't it be done if a CITES was issued?

15. Daniel M.

Ohio
    The rules on live cats are completely different. You can sell them across state lines with a special permit, but it doesn't apply to those same cats the moment they die.

I heard of someone who had a permit to sell tigers in other states and he got into a lot of trouble for also selling dead tigers outside his state because he thought he was covered by that permit.

I'm not an expert, but as far as I know you can't obtain a CITES permit for captive leopards or tigers because they are listed as a CITES 1 which means they are threatened with extinction in the wild and can't be hunted.

16. Wow, so instead of charging people for a permit they would rather put someone in prison. Sad how backwards some of these laws are. Suppose that could be why I have heard of taxidermist buying some animals for personal mounts from exotic live game auctions or shows then killing them at home and mounting them. Hats of for having the balls to raise one, do you ever pet it or go within swiping distance? Any idea (just out of curiosity) how much they cost to buy live?

17. Daniel M.

Ohio
    Yeah, there are a lot of messed up laws, but it seems like every country has some, lol I know the price varies, some are actually worth a few thousand, but a full grown live tiger isn't worth much to most people because it costs so much to feed them and to have a proper facility to keep them contained and happy. If you decided to open a tiger sanctuary and advertised that you had 50 pens ready for tigers, you could fill them in a week. Literally, there are many owners trying to give them away. It is sad, but so many people think they make great pets so they buy a cub (most exotic sales and auctions only allow the sale of cubs). Then when that cub grows up, they can't feed it anymore, it keeps breaking out of it's cage and starts to act aggressive. That's when they are confiscated and hopefully someone with a rescue is willing to adopt it.

That is how I got mine, my friend keeps it for me and has others, and they are rescued tigers. Most rescued animals seem to be more appreciative of the nice things you give them, like toys and a wide variety of food, so most of them are docile enough to pet. But, you always have to be on guard and remember that it is a wild animal and can turn nasty in an instant. One of the coolest experiences I ever had, and the scariest, was several years ago after feeding a male lion. I was watching him eat through the cage and all of a sudden he jumped up and roared right in my face!!! It was so loud my ears were ringing and I still remember being sprayed with lion spit and little chunks of meat! And his breath was very hot and smelled horrible, lol!

And as far as some people wanting to put them down for taxidermy, it is a federal crime to kill any endangered animal even if you own it.

18. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Here is a belt I made out of leather I tanned when I was 17...back in 1972!

[​IMG]

I think my waist was 28 then!

[​IMG]

The brass rivits came from my granddaddy's shop!

[​IMG]

And the holes were punched with his old rotary leather punch.

My career as a tanner was short-lived. Too much work, for too little return!

19. Nice wish I had a belt that would last more than a few years!

As far as killing the specimen for taxidermy the only one I know of that was bought and killed for that was a cougar. I know they still do lion hunts so would it be legal in their case? Also are they as common to be nearly given away as tigers?

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Joey, YOU had a 36 inch waist? DAMN! I can't remember back that far. I had a 37 when I retired from the Air Force in 1993 (I came in with a 32). Now I'd need one of those belt stretchers like the airlines use for seatbelts for a 36.