1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirrel head form for a skunk?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ClaraD, Mar 24, 2012.

1. I'm going to mount a skunk, but just the head (I want to make one of those nifty mountain-man hat with a life-like face. Not just a flattened pelt face.) But anyways, what kind of form should I use? I was thinking I could just use a squirrel change-out head since skunks and squirrels have similar heads (but I'd have to make some minor alterations of course.) The skunk I have is pretty small, and it's head is about the same size as a squirrel's. I can probably make it work with a few little fixes.

I was wondering if anyone had a second opinion or suggestion. Those are always appreciated ;D

2. Mink

Mink New Member

I would reccomend getting a skunk rugshell and cutting off the wooden backing. A squirrel's head is completely different if you compare them. They are not even in the same family (squirrels are rodents, skunks are mustelids) skunks also have a flatter look to the head, while squirrels are more rounded. It would take quite a bit of altering to even get it close, and it still may not look right.
    It is much better to start off with a form for the correct animal and altering the size, rather than a form for the wrong animal and trying to alter the shape.

3. Thank you. I guess I'll do that then ;D

4. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

or clara here ya go on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taxidermy-Form-Med-Skunk-Neck-Mount-/320866368254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab5203afe