1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by LightsOut, Mar 24, 2012.

1. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

More and more taxidermist are putting those deep creases witch put big waves in between all down the sides of the necks on their deer mounts. I just have never seen a live deer that has that look too them, can any one post a live deer picture (wild deer picture) with the deep creases and big waves on the necks? Or is it just a personal preference?
  2. Take a look at this website............particularly the Columbia Blacktail #08532, and you will get visual confirmation of your request. Chuck and Grace have some great pictures of all types of wildlife if you are interested.

3. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

Thanks for the pictures olytax, they are nice. I looked at all the deer pictures and did not see one deer with any deep creases and waves in the neck area. I'm just trying to understand where this type of detail got into deer taxidermy. I'm talking a bout the creases that run from the top of the neck starting from behind the ears, that runs down too the bottom of the neck.
  4. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

Taxidermist try to give the customer what they want and a lot of them want big bucks that look like they are on steroids. It is just a personal preference thing IMO. If someone tells me thats what he wants and he is paying the bill thats what I'll give him. My personal preference is that a deer should look as close to the real live thing as possible.
  5. Just looked at that site and there is one maybe deeper than on most mounts. It was running and the head and neck were straight. It was under galleries, deer, then click on Columbian Black Tailed deer and Bucks. It is within the first 10 pictures. Let me know what you think. It even has longer hair and you can see the detail but it is also caught in motion in action.
  6. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

No, nothing like what i'm seeing on deer mounts.
  7. Guess I'm not following you then. It is not common to see a picture of it but the pic on that site showed exactly what I'm thinking of. Are you talking about the rear edges of the neck muscle that runs from just under the head on the front of the throat down to the brisket. Usually on mannikins it looks like one muscle and people rasp and put a groove down the center also so that it is 2 muscles covering the front of the neck? Suppose the back side of that muscle could curve up towards the ear but I have never seen that part on a live deer pic.
  8. Boxie

Boxie New Member

A picture is worth a thousand words.....
  9. I think that answers the question pretty well. Good pics Boxie, Thanks!
  10. Waiting. Nice pics! And thats on a whitetail
  11. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

OK, I'm talking a bout the creases and waves on the sides of the neck, from the ear's to the shoulders.
  12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Boxie, I hadn't scrolled down when I saw the first picture and I thought, "Man, Boxie has mounted another really clean deer.". I can't tell which you're better at: taking pictures of them or mounting them.
  13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Boxie just posted photos to show you that deer do not have what you are talking about, you said "More and more taxidermist are putting those deep creases witch put big waves in between all down the sides of the necks on their deer mounts."
    who are these more and more taxidermist? The one's I know are trying to make their mounts not look like that.
  14. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

this is what I'm referring to. T, I will rephrase I am seeing more and more deer mounts mounted that way.

15. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

Now datsa purty deer right der now I tellya !
  16. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

LOL, I try.
  17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Can you show us some Taxidermist's pictures on this site who commonly mount deer like in your etcha sketch :) (I mean that in a good way :) )

I know Matt Thompsons forms roll like that, but myself, I generally sand those out. I guess i'm just not seeing it as commonly as you
  18. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

Hi Mike, there is some but I don't want to go in that direction with this. I was just wanted to see what answers I would get on this subject, that's all.
  19. I have several customers that like and request that look.
  20. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

Thanks Dennis, that's the kind of answers I'm looking for. So it's a add on and not some thing that is natural?