1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler Questions

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by iowalongbeards, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Do any of you have an opinion or know what causes acorn points ? Do any of you breeders see acorn points in your herds ?

2. I have no idea if it's true or not, but someone told me before that it's a compression injury, from when they are still in velvet.
    I'd love to know what the real reason is!

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I never felt that it was associated with any kind of injury. I had a couple bucks show up with "acorns", back when I was raising deer. I never noted any injury to any of them or their antlers. The problem is, you don't notice then until the velvet comes off. It's the same with the "holes" or "pits" that deer develop, you don't know they are there so the exact stage of "cause" is hard to determine. Since "acorns" always seem to occur at the tips, I've theorized that it's a nutritional thing. Kind of like a burst of energy that occurs when a new source of nutrition comes on line. It would be mid summer, so it could be linked to some sort of wild crop being available to the deer.

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

What explains when the acorn changes direction and lookes like it was busted at one point and fused back to together then? I've taken in a few bucks that look like they ran into a brick wall and all the tines and beam tips except the brows have an acorn in a straight line across the entire rack at a certain point of growing in velvet and kept growing. I'll be getting one of those racks back this week and here is one from last year. Some of tines were broke at the acorn spots on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I guess it depends on what you are calling an acorn. Old fart is right about the nutrition diet change thing, however there are other causes as well. The compression fractures thing is just that and you can usually decipher those as being what they are. Another cause is fly's laying eggs in the soft bulbous tips and creating voids. The results is what I would normally refer to as acorns on the tips. Those egg pockets remain and as the antler continues to grow from the bottom and harden the acorn tip is the result.

6. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I got in a ten this year with a 24 1/8 inside spread and he had it on several points, so I think a compression injury would be ruled out, and a fly bite also seems like a stretch since it was on almost all points and about the same distance down from the tip or right on the tip.

I would laso like to know the answer to that question.

Not sure if you will able to see it, but it also had them on th epoints being held onto I believe.

Attached Files:

7. antlerman

those tips are damage related.

8. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Got the pics working. I realize its an injury but how does a deer do that. Run into a car, feeder, tree,....? A theory on that wide one could be that because he is so wide he could be could have ended up going through some thicker woods or something where he would have been banging the tips on objects.

9. antlerman

What you guys are showing is damage when soft. Kyle, I can't see yours that well, but for further information about the flies...here's this. Sometimes you will see tulips on the tips and weird webbing spots in the middle of a tine. Those particular places are caused by fly's laying eggs in a soft bulbious place that is still blood filled. Those eggs hatch and become larva. The larva eat whatever is palatable until they either fall off or become adults and fly away. What is left is voids that continue to grow and harden off causing wierd deformaties. The stress fractures that happen in velvet merely heal and continue to grow just like any bone fracture will do as long as the bone is still in it's growth stages. Once done growing they become brittle and simply break off as in a broken tine. The little places on Dave's tips are not fly caused. They appear to be more damage related than anything. Kyle, your deer appears to have some fly damage, but again, I can't see it that well, but if those tulips show no signs of breakage they are what I am referring to.

10. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

g3,4 and beams on both sides had the bulbs almost in a straight line and the 4 out of 6 that are at the "ends" now were all broken from being week. You can see were they were blunted, compressed, or something forming a bulb then healed and kept growing on all the pts mentioned. The rg4 and lg3 did not break but still had the bulbs.

11. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Acorn tips on my 12 pt'er from 2009.

[​IMG]

12. danielemt

danielemt New Member

X2 antlerman. i heard the same, that it is caused by mites or flies leaving larva during antler formation.

13. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Anyone interested in antlers should get themselves copies of the following;

Antler Development in Cervidae Robert D.Brown, Editor

Deer Antlers Richard J. Gross

Below is a source for a couple copies of the Brown book, it's the cheapest I've found. The other will be harder to find and probably much more expensive.

Antler Development in the Cervidae. Proceedings of the First International Symposium of the Caesar Kleburg Wildlife Research Institute, College of Agriculture,

Brown, Robert D. Ed.

Bookseller: Maggie Lambeth

(Blanco, TX, U.S.A.)

Bookseller Rating:

Quantity Available: 2

ISBN: 0912229047 / 0-912229-04-7

Price: US$ 30.00
    Convert Currency
    Shipping:US$ 4.50

Within U.S.A.
    Destination, Rates & Speeds

Book Description: Texas A&I University, Kingsville, 1983. Soft Cover. Book Condition: VERY GOOD. First Edition. 480pp., index, over 250 illus. , 70 tables. Includes 30 scientific papers by various authors. Small 4to. Previous owner's name on front cover and stamped on title page. Contents clean tight. A comprehensive reference text for wildlife managers, wildlife researchers, veterinarians, and workers in related natural science fields. The subject matter comprises detailed coverage of behavior, breeding and genetics, wildlife management, endocrinology, light cycles, nutrition and taxonomy. A thorough bibliography is given at the end of each of each chapter. Bookseller Inventory # 11455

14. Antlerman has it right. The acorn tips are caused when the soft spongy developing antler (bone) is injured or fractured. The resulting flare is the result of that fracture healing under the velvet. The holes or tulips are also injury related. If the velvet is injured, flies can lay eggs in the bloody wound and the resultant larva (which live off the decaying tissue) cause the rounded holes while the antler continues to develop around them. Fly larva are incapable of penetrating healthy, uninjured velvet. Both deformities are the results of injury; one to the developing antler, and the other to the velvet itself.