1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DP for bug control on freeze drying?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Icarus, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

This seems like a really silly question to ask, but will Bess Maid Dry Preserve repel bugs?

Picked up a nice freeze dryer and the taxidermist I got it from was vehement about the bug problem you can run into with freeze drying. Came with a bunch of paperwork, there is a recipe in here for what they used as a preservative but I'm having trouble finding it. I do recall the use of Borax and denatured alcohol, though.

This freeze drying booklet from 1987 tells you to use Edolan-U.

Been going through all the archives and search results I can find on freeze drying but this question hasn't been answered yet :)

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Anna there are better alternatives. DP does have borax but also contains unscented talc, alum, and trace spices and minerals. Borax alone would be better. Permethrin is a better choice. Remember that since endolan U was outlawed, there is no permanent insecticide.

3. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Thank you Mr. Roof :) I realized that I wouldn't be able to send out something that would be forever but it did seem like an issue I needed to address.

I <i>just</i> read a post yesterday where you talked about permethrin as an insecticide. There was some discussion on the strength and where to buy it. I feel like a real dork now.

4. Sevin liquid. Carbinol, it s a great bug killer. The liquid can be injected.