1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wanting to tan an ostrich hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by jon, Oct 2, 2006.

1. i have a lady who would like an ostrich hide done. i told her i didnt know how to do one, and she said if they get ruined no big deal. she doesnt want to send them to a tannery. i guess she doesnt want them that bad or something. i search the old forum with no success. does anyone know how to do this or know of a book on this. just wondering.

thanks

jon

2. Ostrich will tan just like any other skin. It just needs to be degreased a little more. How are you with fleshing? Do you want the feathers on or off?

3. i will be doing the feathers off. i have a quebec fleshing machine and a auto tanner, what do you think i can do with that. ive never done a deer hide other than those for mounts. i just want to do my homework before i call the lady back. any help would be great.

4. Sounds like you have what you need. Just follow the tanning instructions and check for grease spots in the hide.

5. ha_ktc

ha_ktc New Member

That is a problem which I'm interesting in. I think that tanning ostrich skin as well as others but it need degrease so much. Besides I don't know using what flesing machine is.

If you interested the above, please discuss with me via email: [email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks a lot.

6. Ha,
    You can use a wire wheel, but for a full sized ostrich, you will make more headway with a fleshing machine. There is plenty of info on this site detailing fleshing machines.

7. ha_ktc

ha_ktc New Member

David Patton,
    Thank you very much for your advising but you can tell me know more clearly about that machine. I think that it can use for flesing ostrich skin with quantity is not very large. Please send me an email for discuss about this. Thanks a lot.