1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Don't see many of these in Montana.....

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by RDMARTIN53, Mar 26, 2012.

RDMARTIN53 New Member

2. Bob Katz

Bob Katz Lil One- my bestest girlfriend

RD, I have a feeling your gonna have fun with this one, G-e-e. I want to thank you for steering me in the right direction, I send you some pics later today. Have to follow you on this monster..

RDMARTIN53 New Member

No problem Bob. Hope it works for you. Just when I am getting caught up with big skulls this one shows up. Definitely a different technique on this guy.
  4. Bob Katz

Just sitting here and my mind is working , on how this monster is gonna step by step so that by the time you finish this one , I'll be ready to do one that a buddy has had in his freezer four 3-4 years, and waiting for me to have some spare time, yeah sure....
  5. Gomer746

Gomer746 New Member

6. horsefeathers

horsefeathers New Member

Gonna be watching this one like a hawk.

I'm really, really interested to see how you deal with those horns.

RDMARTIN53 New Member

a little better picture showing the crown....
  8. Bob Katz

Wife thinks thehorns are upside down.
  9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope. Not only are they on right ... they don't come off either. Talk to George about this one if you've never tackled one before.. You don't want to wreck it. Swearing at it is ok though.
  10. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

Well aware of the fact they don't come off. Don't worry....I think I got a handle on it. Didn't you buy one already cleaned for your collection?
  11. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

Still shaking my head and laughing.
  12. Matt_S

Matt_S New Member

Will the bugs mess with those horns?
  13. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

You bet they will. This one won't go in the bugs.
  14. coorsguy

coorsguy New Member

Newb question....Why is that RD?
  15. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $75 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

I did one of these. Once.
  16. I'm pretty sure he cleared a path, when he strolled thru the herd.

Nice, RD,...very nice.
  17. The bugs will nomnomnom the horns.
  18. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Actually, I would prefer the bugs. I ran two through my colony many years back. Maceration will ruin the horns before the bugs do.

My suggestion is to partially dry the skull in front of a fan which will also dry up the surface of the horns. Then use some silicon to coat the bases of the horns as much as possible. Bug the entire skull and the horns won't be damaged - even leave the silicon on the bases of the horns when you peroxide the whole skull.
  19. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I had always wanted one and did indeed buy one already cleaned. I have the hide of the same critter too though it is missing the head. I would be very intimidated in cleaning that. Good luck with yours. :)
  20. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 New Member

PA, I considered it for about 2 minutes then decided to do someting different. I have a Pard in Alaska that has more experience with these than I do. I'll post pictures next week.