1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first yellow perch

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JHardman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

All skin mount, first carved form, please let me know what you think, I am just getting started with baisically no training, learning everything the hard way takes a long time. This forum has dramatically improved my finished results! this is my fifth fish. this perch was particularly pale for my area. Again please critique, I posted a trout last week still no word on it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It looks pretty good from the pics you have. It appears that the pelvic fins are not in the right location, too far towards show side. Maybe angle of pics. It looks good until the area of the anal fin. From there back the shape looks too flat, not the right shape. Maybe pics can't tell for sure. The paint looks pretty good. For the most part I like it. It does take some time to get the carving thing down, at least it did for me. Hell I am still learning after 10 years at it. Keep it up, study every fish close and carve before you skin and that way you have what you need for reference right there. 3bears

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't get a lot of yellow perch here, but those that I do are much more "yellow" and they have a gold tint to them.

4. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

Thanks gentleman for the responses I knew something wasn't quite right on the back half I just couldn't quite put a finger on it. The fins seem to be centered on the manikin pretty well, might be I'm not much of a photographer. As for the coloration this particular fish was very pale, in my area perch are typically much brightr and more golden and orange on the sides and belly, not quite sure how to achieve that orange and golden tint yet. Thanks again.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It may be that the pelvic fin butts are sticking out too far. There are pockets for them on the fish. Look closer on the next one you catch. When adding color to a fish do it in light coats you can always add more but it is harder to undo too much. Do some digging in the archives there was a discussion on painting perch. I believe within the last year. Good luck, 3bears

6. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

Thanks for all your help, I have two more to do soon. I'll post a pic.

7. no expert. but i think u done a great job!!! looks real nice. jmo

8. the bottom of the jaws and top of the head need to be rebuilt, and the tail was not cleaned out all the way to the fin butts.....

9. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I think its a pretty nice job for your 5th. In addition to what has been said, I would fix the ragged fin look on the anal and soft dorsal (or at least on your next one). They are a little too flagged for me also. Needs a little pearl powder scale tipping to make it pop and the pec fin, although you said it was light, is too washed out imo, needs some color. Great start for you though.........

10. gnccracer291

gnccracer291 New Member

Very nice! Good job on the carved body.