1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

It's not always taxidermy

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Doug Bridges, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I get the opportunity to do lots of different mold making and casting work. I've done gun stocks, spy cameras, art work, jewelry and a lot more things.

But, last week I got a call regarding a potential customer. The items to be molded are plaques that have been salvaged from the Fermi 1 nuclear power plant. Construction on the plant started in 1957 and the plant shut down in 1975. It's now in the process of being decommissioned and torn down. The customer, a professor at a local Michigan college, had 2 plaques. 1 from a generator and one from a personnel air lock. Pretty cool to get to touch, yes they say they are not radioactive, these plaques and to reproduce a piece of history. The reproductions will be used in a museum and for personal use. Here are some photos that I took of the process and finished reproductions. While the process and the molds are not technically difficult to do, the finished parts are pretty cool.

The first photo is the original plaques nested down and boxed for the mold pouring process. The second photo is the molds ready to pour.

Attached Files:

2. The next photo is the parts as they come out of the molds. I am casting using a cold bronze process using SmoothCast Black Onyx and Bronze powder mixed in equal portions. You can see the finish is a dull bronze looking plastic.

The final photo is the finished reproduction plaques. I have painted the background or low areas in the casting and then buffed the plastic to reveal the bronze powder. The buffing with steel-wool, provides that metal look.

The final shot is the two states of the reproductions side by side.

Attached Files:

3. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

If you wake up one morning, look in the mirror and you are glowing green. you no where it came from, nice work doug wish I had your talents.

4. fishmaster

fishmaster Member

You must have used tin based silicone as Platinum doesn't cure against radiation. Neat project!

5. Justin P.

Justin P. New Member

You're the man Doug! Great project!

6. Re: Re: It's not always taxidermy

No tin here. Platinum all the way. At least i didnt glow last night.

From my DROID dammit!

7. ao3004

ao3004 New Member

very cool, what did you poor in to make the mold? The replica looks exactly like the original, very neat.

8. I put that in the text above.
    SmoothCast Black Onyx
    with
    Bronze Powder

Then buff to a shine.

9. Terry Vining

Terry Vining last photo together

Mi
    Nice work Doug.

10. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

I would expect nothing but the best results from you Doug. You pulled it off great.

11. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Pretty Cool Doug!

12. Polymer Guy

Polymer Guy New Member

Very cool looking parts Doug. I like the gun stock work you do. ;D

13. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

cool

14. Rogerst

Rogerst Member

Nice work, I just used 3025 to cast a bunch of puzzle peices for an autism benefit.