1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first mount please critique

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by luciengwin4, Mar 28, 2012.

1. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    this is my first mount of anything besides a duck so please let me know what you see wrong with it you can be harsh it will only help me get better, thanks

Attached Files:

2. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    i can't really figure out how to post pultiple pics so i guess i will do it one at a time

Attached Files:

3. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    another

Attached Files:

4. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    last two

Attached Files:

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    From the pics posted, it appears the rack is tipped back too far, the nose is too black and the eyes look sunk in. For any more you will need better pics.I replied before the last pics. It appears the rack issue caused you to get the eye shape off as well. Spend some time looking at reference pics you should see what I am trying to say. A few changes on the next one and you will be on your way. 3bears

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

not much ear but mussel eather. but that is a nice 6 point.

7. looks very nice for ur 1st!!! have to agree antlers tipped to far back. and i think that throws a few other things off like ears. good job though:)

8. looks good for a 1st mount.

9. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

All your problems started with the rack set. Set to far back. This caused you to set your ears to low and pull your eye skin. Anatomy probs are eye shape and skin pulling to tight, ear butt shape, tear duct shape and not tucked in far enough, nose pad too low and arm pit hair outside the pockets and onto the legs. Other than that crisp ears, clean mount, and pretty good paint colors just to much over spray (brush around the eyes with a stiff tooth brush and get the paint off the hairs). Very good for a first you should be proud. Look at reference photos of all the mentioned parts and correct them and you are well on your way.

10. tylerdeloach32

tylerdeloach32 New Member

I agree with the rack sitting too far back. Also it appears your tear ducts could use a little more tucking. Try pinning them to hold them in place. I've had a similar problem where the skin was too tight because of the rack and it pulled the skin around the eye. It's very difficult to get a correct eye set when this happens almost impossible. Looks really good for your first! I wish my first looked like that haha.

11. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    Well I used the synchron eyes bc I was scared I wouldn't be able to get them right with clay and after I tucked them he looked really sleepy eyed and thank goodness they pulled apart more when he dried or it would have looked even worse and as on the antlers when I set them the skull plate was pretty in line with the form I thought the bump on the form and the bump on the skull plate lined up good, should I have just put a piece of wood or something under it? I didn't like the way the antlers were so fat back myself I just thought that's how they were supposed to go bc it all lined up, thank you everyone for the critiques it can only help me get better

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    On the next take measurements and maybe even pics of the antler set prior to caping. That way you aren't guessing. Do some searching in the archives there is a bunch of info on antler setting. Don't be scared about doing eyes wrong. Just get good references and try to match what you see. 3bears

13. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    I will try that next time the only thing about this deer was I just got a set of antlers and a cape off of a different deer so I wasn't able to measure him like that

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That is what I figured. If you use the info that is in the archives on here about setting antlers it will get you real close. I personally only use the bump as you called it to line up the rack side to side. If you set it flush with the form you forgot to incorporate the thickness of tissue there. Good luck, 3bears