1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About Professionally Tanned Cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Triple BB, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Triple BB

Triple BB New Member

I have an elk cape I had tanned in 2007. The cape is still soft, pliable and the hair is in great condition. A friend noticed the hide was yellowing and advised it was the oils working their way to the surface. He suggested soaking it in water and freezing it. I don't have the freezer space, but can find some space at a friends house. Question is, will it ruin this cape to leave it out without freezing it. Short of soaking and freezing, are there any leather treatments/products or suggestions to prevent future damage. I do intend to use it for a mount when I get some more wall space one of these years.

2. should be fine as it is.

3. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

dry tanned skins have a life span. I have found that some are good for up to a year and some may last for a few years. Seems that at some point, when you rehydrate the skin, it will fall apart on you, or not hold stitches. Sounds too me that you better either do something with the cape or plan on not using it.

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    You should have frozen it dry when you got it back from the tannery. It does not need to be soaked up before freezing. I 'dry-freeze' hides on a regular basis. Client mounts (capes and lifesize skins) as well as my own tanned skins are frozen while still in their dry state. They take up less space when they are dry as well. Get it into a freezer ASAP!

5. Just a little tidbit of info. A frozen wet tanned or dry tanned cape can very well acid rot if it was not neutralized correctly.

6. Triple BB

Triple BB New Member

Appreciate the responses. I went ahead and cleaned out some meat and food and stuck them in my brothers freezer and put the cape in a large garbage bag to dry freeze in mine.

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    With the better commercial tanneries this is not a concern. I'm talking about tanneries such as Wildlife Gallery, New Method, Wilderness East End Tannery, Arlington Cape, just to name a few of the 'bigger' better tanneries. I have had skins by all of the above tanneries frozen for ridiculous periods of time with no ill effects.

Other skins I have purchased from here that have been tanned by wannabes are some of the worst tans you will ever see or work with.

Practice proper, correct skin care, and use a reputable tannery, and you should be fine.