1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Kansas Waterfowl Possession Limit- Questions Answered

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jorlan, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Jorlan

Jorlan New Member

I am a duck hunter and a hobby taxidermist. (not a licensed taxidermist) I like to keep several wild shot ducks to mount. I have seen discussions on possession limits so I thought I would post the answers I got from Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks regarding the following 7 questions. The Kansas daily bag limit is 6, and the possession limit is 12.
    Most of the questions mimic Porter's questions to the California DFG on a previous post. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,213732.0.html
    I was hoping for the same answers. ;D

1) At what point does a bird no longer become a bird?
    As long as the parts of the bird are not consumed or rendered into a finished mounted specimen, it is considered a bird that counts toward a bag or possession limit.
    2) If I skin out a bird, remove all of the meat, and put it into my freezer, does the meat and the skin now become 2 birds?
    no - stays 1 bird
    3) Does a skinned out bird count as one bird towards my possession limit?
    yes
    4) Do birds in the freezer from last year count towards my possession limit?
    yes
    5) Do mounted birds count towards my possession limit?
    no
    6) Once I gift a bird to a member of my household, am I required to keep a tag or documentation of the gift?
    no
    7) Once I gift a bird to a member of my household, are they required to keep a tag or documentation of the gift?
    yes

It appears as though the Kansas regulations are more strict than the Federal regulations.
    I was hoping that once the meat hit the freezer it would no longer counted toward possession. STRIKE 1
    I was hoping that the skin did not count toward possession- STRIKE 2
    I was hoping that I could gift the birds, specifically the breast meat, to my wife without keeping documentation- STRIKE 3

I was hoping this would help some good-hearted, law-abiding Kansan like me. . . . . . but I doubt it will. I'm OUT
    I guess I'll just keep 6 mounting specimens per year. :mad: Or keep 6 more that I shoot on the final day.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

2. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Possesion is usually TWICE the daily limit..... All you have to do is gift them over and leave the "paper work" with the bird...no biggie.

3. In mn I was told once skun dnt count?

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

1) is a pretty grey area....depends on who you talk to.........skun/cleaned birds,with no edible parts.......clean dried skins to use in fly tying........how about a bird skin in your garbage can until the trash man picks up....still in your possesion......talk to 10 "state" co's and get 6-10 different answers.........get it in writing....a printed form is most likely available from your state cons headquarters........I got one from my local co...that I was never issued in the last 40 years with my state lic....and I would bet 99% of the tax in this state have never read it..

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I believe your answer to 3. Should be No. A skinned out bird with no edible portions does not count towards your limit.

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I have been told conflicting stories but the dangerous part that they all tended to agree on was that anything in the freezer might count - whether or not it was edible.
    Anything that was mounted or stored as a DRY skin did not count, but the people I spoke to had no idea as to the status of a formerly mounted specimen which had been soaked off of its form and then frozen for re-mounting.

7. Jorlan

Jorlan New Member

Thank you ALL for the comments.
    Again, these are answers that were e-mailed to me from the KANSAS DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE AND PARKS, specifically the LAW ENFORCEMENT DIVISION, Pratt KS.
    That may be true for MN. It seems each state has their own opinion of what counts and what does not. It would be nice if they were all on the same page regarding this specific issue.
    It counts, according to KDWP. I hope you can direct me otherwise ;D
    I think you hit the nail on the head. "MIGHT COUNT".

It is even possible that these regulations are not enforced at all! However, hunting is very important to me and I will not be the one to test the waters.
    Also, if anyone has information from a specific state, regarding what counts toward possession, please share.