1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sale of mckenzie

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by grumpy1122, Apr 2, 2012.

1. grumpy1122

grumpy1122 New Member

Can anyone tell me if the mckenzie sport products I saw on in the internet being bought levine and lecthman is the taxidermy supply, If it is what is going to happen to the prices?

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/02/4384820_levine-leichtman-capital-partners.html#storylink=cpyhttp://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/02/4384820_levine-leichtman-capital-partners.html

Not sure if they sold or just partnered.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

3. grumpy1122

grumpy1122 New Member

I looked up levine and lechtman under there portfolio shows mckenzie sport as a current property

4. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

Levine Leichtman Capital Partners ("LLCP"), a Los Angeles-based private equity firm, announced today that it has partnered with management to complete the acquisition of McKenzie Sports Products, LLC ("McKenzie"). McKenzie, based in Salisbury, North Carolina,

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/02/4384820_levine-leichtman-capital-partners.html#storylink=cpyhttp://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/02/4384820_levine-leichtman-capital-partners.html#storylink=cpy

5. gab

gab Active Member

i'm sure the new people hate money so they'll make sure that prices go up and service goes down ::)

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Like they're the ONLY supply company :) LOL

7. rp

rp New Member

wow so now everything is going to get more and more expensive again ???

8. John Panter

John Panter New Member

And everyone is going to pass any price increase in supplies on to their customers right?

9. michael p.

I sometimes wish everything would shoot up 100% if not just for 1 season to show half these people how pitifully low that are. They have such little margin for any profit that any price increase would ruin them.

I still laugh my ass off when people bitch about supplies going up in taxidermy and say that's going to put them out of business.... Hell, that's going to increase my business.

Besides that, there are still plenty of other cheaper suppliers to order from, but somebody needs a scapegoat and that goat is always McKenzie :(

10. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

LOL if you guys only knew.......
    Profit's sore at McKenzie or they would be bought by investment companies.
    Just take for instance the foam, they are buying in such bulk they pay less than 10 per gallon for the foam we drop 60- 80 per gallon for.
    They have the strength of Wall Mart with VENDORS in the the taxidermy supply business........they tell you what they will buy wholesale for, not what you want to sell for.....

DON"T be surprised at some later date in the future your mannakins are make in China and transported in Cargo ships to the distribution centers.
    McKenzie knows and tracks the numbers of forms sold each year and the stock pile of the forms and type and sizes they would need to accomplish this

Between the EPA and the regs and the cost of employees grows ( Health Care ) .
    I see this as a viable option to increase profit, one taxidermy supply company already does some of this......

;D The sheeet we never know about.......

11. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Is this the beginning of the end to all 250.00 deer head guys? Is this the direction all small supply companies have waited for? Is this the road to making taxidermy a recognized profession? Is your glass half full or half empty? We have seen the dedication to us from the likes of Dave Sacks and Tom Powell. Why would you think that would change? It won't. If anything, things just got better. I expect to see an announcement in the near future that McKenzie will open a DC in other countries, making them a world wide service company to our friends abroad. So what if prices go up? I make my 15% . I'm always intrested in a raise. The reason people stay small is because they think small. McKenzie thinks BIG and therefore, they are. I will follow their lead cause they are going places others fear to go.

12. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

The sky is falling....the sky is falling.

Really, without grumpy or someone else posting it on here, most of you would never have found out that McKenzie was sold. This type of thing happens all the time in the business world and most of us never even see it occur. My buddy used to work in a furniture mfg plant. The company was bought and sold at least once a year. They still produced the same furniture and the prices at the furniture store stayed the same (adjusted for inflation). So, I would expect that you will not see massive increases or really any changes that will negatively impact your business and the industry. You can expect they will raise their prices each year as inflation and raw materials costs increase. That won't ever change and if it does, then you'll know that the company is in trouble. If I had to guess, I would expect McK to open more distribution facilities, expand their product lines, and purchase smaller, troubled taxidermy supply companies. All of these are good for the industry.

13. Richard C

Richard C Active Member

The ironic part of all this is we are supporting the democrats and Obama through our supply purchases. I had this feeling with the previous controlling company. Now I'm positive. These big companies are mostly invested in by the democrats, Jews and liberal progressives. These people donate almost exclusively to the democrats and always support the animal rights groups.
    The Dem's and OB are going to end up banning guns and killing the 2ND admendent which in turn will kill this business and their investment. It's poetic justice !
    Ask yourself who has the Midas touch in business in the United States, answer the Jews. How many Jews in "taxidermy" , none I ever knew in 50 years in business.
    The only people who get in this business seem to be dumb white boys who don't play well with others. As George always says , most taxidermists don't play well with others. Who owns all the corner stores, gas stations. quick stops and corner restaurants now , Indians/India , Pakistanians, various Spanish groups , various Arab
    groups. How many of these groups of people are trying to get into "taxidermy", I hear crickets !
    Why do we have such a price gap in services to the public ? Deer from 250.00 to 8 or 900.00 , fish 10.00 per inch or less to 25-30.00 per inch ? Why do we have geographical variances in prices because "we can't get that price in my area" mentality. Sometimes the geographical distance is only across town? Why does the "industry" have no standards ? Why do most have no IRA,health ins unless it's through the wife's job or your real job ? Why no vacation with pay, sick days with pay, holidays with pay , retirement plan ? You guys should at least thank Obama for getting you free health care. Why do taxidermists who are in trouble stay in business at the beginning of the season, they don't want the work BUT they NEED the deposits to get through the winter and holiday season.
    Is this all the reasons "taxidermy" is the ultimate unprofessional profession ?

PS: Don't forget to vote in November unless you have to be in your tree stand, I will understand.

14. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

Interestlng. Back a couple of months ago when we were getting the poll phone calls about forms, pricing, work load, etc, someone told me that they had heard from a reliable source that McKenzie was being bought and it was that company making the calls. Guess my source was right.

15. davehyer

davehyer New Member

It all depends on the company that bought them. I have seen and been involved in some of these situations before. The company that i currently work for was family owned for 40 years. I worked there 23 years when it was sold to a huge corporation. Everyone was scared and thought the worst, but as it turned out the company that bought us has been very good to work with.

they pretty much stay out of the everday operation. As long as you make money they are happy.

Another siuation, a large corp came in and bought the feed mill in th etown I lived in. it had just been renovated, they installed millions of dollars in this facility with grain handling and mixing equipment, it was the largest mill within 25 miles of my town.

This company bought every feed mill they could within 75 mile radius of my town. After all the aquisitions were made they started closing mills and moving everything into a couple centrally located places. They fired everyone that worked at many of these places including th eone in my town. Most of those guys had 15 to 30 years there. Then they demolished the whole facility that was basically brand new.

well as you can imagine this caused all kinds of problems, and most everyone had nothing but hate for this company but they had no choice, they had to deal with them because there were no other options for the services that they provided. They raised allot of their prices on services they provided and you paid it, bought the equipment to do it yourself, or did with out.

The worst part is, this mill was a coop so it had a membership of farmers and other like minded people that negotiated and made the sale, and soon as the deal was done the new buyer stuck it right in all the farmers collective ass.

I think a sale like this will not effect the cutomers at all, because they are in business to make money. I do however think that it could have a negative effect on the employees of McKenzie.

Once they buy it they can do whatever they want regardless of what they may have talked about with the previous owners.

16. Richard C

Richard C Active Member

Dave
    The agri,mill business is a real business, this is "taxidermy", there is no comparison. A good comparison would be a ceramics business. We do ceramics and cover it with fur,feathers or scales.

17. boxerpet

boxerpet Harry Paulson-grateful

What a development. Looks like the good will survive and the unskilled uneducated taxidermists will fail.
    Pure hogwash!
    We're not just taxidermists,We've got to learn better how to be true business people
    I've known about Mckenzie's since I first meet Jerry Mckenzie years ago. He and his people had a plan a dream and look to where they have risen.
    Bert Van Dyke had a dream and did the same. Dan Chase had a dream and did the same. Younger business men like Tom Matuska has a dream and is gaining steam and building his dream.
    All of us can succeed but it takes effort.
    Don"t be envious reach for the stars yourselves.
    Above all be a professional and quite bitching.

18. michael p.

Preach Brother Harry, preach!!!!! :)

19. grumpy1122

grumpy1122 New Member

I have this to add, I hope McKenzie sold for a large profit. That is the American Dream It wasn't easy to build what they built. Now for my preaching I have always been a small business foe most of my life, when they started buying up small companies I stop for most buying from them. I then went to wasco. Now I am looking again, just like most of you are a small business owner. I will always try to work with a mom and pop the big company. You do not get the personal service from the big company that you will from mom and pop, remember you all are small business owner.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

grumpy, that's the most convoluted , distorted bunch of crap I've ever heard. This simply fortifies what the others have said about the uphill struggle taxidermy has in projecting a responsible and professional image. The "mom and pop" ideals of the depression are long gone and today, "mom and pop" had damned well better have their defecation coagulated and be prepared to follow the mainstreams of modern business. I'm a "small business" and half the time, I have the demeanor of a rattlesnake at a proctologist. I know a LOT of small businesses that are the same way. I'm not in business to help other businesses survive. I'm in business to insure I survive and because of that I deal with companies who market products that make MY WORK look better. If that's a one or two person operation, that's serendipity, but it's damned sure not the reason I use them. Most of the "small businesses" that were absorbed by McKenzie actively sought joining them rather than seeing their businesses fail. By doing so, they increased the scope and reach of the company they sought to join. Most taxidermists could use one day of Tom Powell to base their business practices on and become more successful. Show me a small business that you can order from at 9 a.m. and have that order on the UPS truck at noon - JUST ONE. Show me a small company that will give you from 2-12% discount on your order. Show me a company that can offer you the selection that a company like McKenzie can offer you. ( Never mind that you COULD order that from several suppliers and have to pay separate shipping and handling fees.) You tell me ONE TIME that you've had an issue with a McKenzie order that they didn't handle it to your satisfaction just by reportitng it and I'll give you a dozen transactions I've had with small enterprizes who refused or actually blamed me for the problem. How many times has McKenzie hung up on you? You don't want to know how many times I've had small businesses do that to me.