1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sale of mckenzie

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by grumpy1122, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

If they double the price on head forms, some of the folks here will actually have to raise the price of a deer head by $5!

2. I think these discussions are very interesting, and I am all for any company or business doing well and making a greater profit. But there is one thing that I am a little comfused about and any input would be great. This is my question, in business less overhead means greater profit. So are some of you saying that you would not use a smaller supplier because of the convenience McKenzie offers? We use McKenzie quite a bit and I am not knocking them, , but we also use others that have a comparable product that is at a better price. Like I said I am all for business doing well, but at the same time I want to do well also. So if I can make my dollar go futher, and have a greater profit, I am all for it. Imagine giving yourself a raise and it is not because cost of materials have gone up. I realize everything is more expensive than it was just a few years ago, and that is what makes me shop around more. As long as it comparable in quality, and it saves me money, I am all for it. Look forward to your responses.

3. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I shop at both McKenzie and smaller suppliers. If you compare prices, McKenzie is not outrageously more expensive than smaller suppliers. In fact, they are the same price (or sometimes cheaper) on many identical items. If you shop around and buy every item you purchase at the cheapest price you can find, are you really saving money? The time it takes to look through several different catalogs and the expense of paying shipping from several different suppliers makes the higher McKenzie prices competitive.

As far as service goes, McKenzie is the ABSOLUTE BEST in our industry. I have ordered tens of thousands of dollars worth of product from them and cannot remember when they were back ordered on anything. When I used to buy from WASCO, half my order would be out of stock everytime. When there have been problems with an item, McKenzie has always exceeded my expectations in getting the situation remedied. Once I had a turkey panel damaged by UPS. I called McKenzie and the driver dropped off a new one the next day and picked up the damaged one. I ordered a wall habitat piece that had black splotches all over the rock. I called and asked if they would give me a small credit towards my next order to compensate for the time it took to repaint the rock so I could use it. The McKenzie gal said to keep that one and she shipped me a new one. That was WAY above and beyond. I could go on and on with stories about how helpful the McKenzie crew has been and what a blessing they have been to my business. The products and great service they provide has allowed me to make a lot of money since I got started 11 years ago.

The smaller suppliers are great, too. I hope all of them will be able to expand their product lines to become a one stop shop like McKenzie has become. I have been buying a lot from HQ recently because I can pick the order up on my way home from work and not pay shipping. As they keep adding products, I will probably give them more of my business.

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

You are right, and I think thats what we all try to do. Just for me personally, because I live in a SPEE DEE delivery zone, shipping cost alone puts all others behind by 15-20 %. Then add in the discount from McKenzie and I'm at a 30% margin over shopping anywhere else and that is profit dollars without changing my prices one cent. McKenzie made that possible by opening up the DC in Beloit and by allowing us to use SPEE DEE as our shipper of choice. Then factor in the idea of one stop shopping and it becomes hard for other suppliers to compete for my business even though I love their products just as equally well. I love all the supply companies. It is they who make our lives easier. I think the smaller companies may have to look towards small Distribution outlets around the country to keep pace with what McKenzie has brought to the table just in shipping costs alone. Distance costs money. How much do you think a package containing 1 mannikin cost to ship from one side of the country to the other. That is the one single factor that prohibits buying from many of the supply companies. It simply costs too much to do business with them even though we love them. The playing field is not level. I wish it was, but it is not.

5. I definitely agree that their ability to ship to you based on the fact they have numerous distribution centers is an advantage, and certainly there is not going to be a huge difference in the cost of a deer manikin, I guess I am looking at the L.S. manikin part of it where there seems to be a large difference in cost, but as a example if I can buy a whitetail manikin 12 dollars cheaper and I like their product as well, and say I have 50 to order plus I can still get a discount, I will wait a little longer to get it if it puts that much more money in my pocket. But like you say, the cost of shipping is certainly something to concider.