1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 5~ April 2012 Edition!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Denny......Oops..........lol.........nice job Al and thanks Dave, bass looks nice...........

2. den007

den007 Active Member

Hey Al......I mentioned what I did so you could get a better-looking result as far as anatomy of the fish. Both of those look like AP forms to me (as in Archie Phillips) and in my opinion, he makes his forms with a severe upward curve from the anus to the caudal fin that looks very angular to my taste.

However, I will stop trying to help you after your sweet PM about "how somebody (you?) are going to shut my mouth someday."

I will watch my back. :-*

3. Ok...Buck....

4. I have noticed the same thing with most commercial bass mannikins that are tail up and out without a big pot belly. Depends on the fish, I have never used Phillips but I have noticed it with Rinehart's (both John and Dan) and even on a few Matt Thompson mannikins. Not all, just depends on what one you get, but the big pot bellies don't seem to have it as bad. If the customer wants tail up and out, and you order commercial mannikins and the skin fits, I don't see the problem. The customer picked the pose! You can alter that area but it really only works if it is too big for the skin.
    Personally I like tail down and out, plus you always get a bigger fuller looking belly. But try convincing every customer to go with one.

Now, can't we all just get along?

5. jmgriggs

jmgriggs Distinguished Wildlife Creations, LLC

Its a conspiracy I tell ya!!!

6. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Denny,
    Quit picking on people..... ;D.....you do remember you and Marty still have a score to settle on a wrestling mat......lol.

7. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Finally finished this mount up. Its my 3rd largemouth skin mount.

Attached Files:

8. Did you make the crawler yourself?

9. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

No I bought a freeze dried one and glossed it. It was quicker than making one probably and looks just as good.

10. Perk

Perk Deuce, My grouse dog

7- Point your work is improving. Nice job!

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Brian, I remember that wrestling invite, and must say, through the years, I now see Marty as one of the most helpful folks on here. I have had more than one run in with Mr. Roof, and feel the same about him.....a very intelligent man who is entitiled to his opinion and is free to express it on here, since this is what the forum is about.

I do not like Phillips forms......I have used Sexton and Thompson and never had a tail end jerked up at a steep angle. Looked like AP to me. Both of them.

Seemed like constructive criticism, or did I miss something???

God, to have your life threatened over such a comment is the really scary thing. Not for me, but for the mentality behind it.

Now I am Buck Rogers as well, from the same "nice" guy who begged me to send him some of those eyes.

Pathetic.

12. Wow, I do wholesale freeze drying but never thought of doing a crawler.

Thanks for the idea! It looks great in the pic.

den I think I lost you on the last couple sentences of your last post. Don't recall seeing anything like that must of been a PM. As far as constructive criticism goes I have always under the impression TMIFP was kind of a critique free zone. Except maybe in a PM. Just my impression. As far as the forms go I have never tried Sexton forms (that I can remember) and have not seen it as bad on the Thompson's. But the Rinehart ones look just like that in my opinion.

13. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Thanks Perk and yea Game Over, it looks great, i didn't even paint it it kept its color so well all I did was gloss it.

14. Den ,,
    You are entitled to your opiion about the forms..they were as I said ..sexton and thompsons,,so thats how much you know,,
    secondly,,down here shutting your mouth is a punch in the mouth ,,or a kick in the ass
    and thirdly,,,yea,,I wanted to try those eyes just like alot of taxidermists wanted too...just never produced them,,,
    So if we ever do meet and hope we do ...
    I:ll give you a lesson on a few southern words you might not understand..

15. Easy! Don't know if there is something deeper here that started before this post. But really unless there were some crazy exchanges in PMs I don't get how you could get that worked up over that one comment. Anyway a number of people try to avoid Taxi.net now as much as they can because of stuff like this. TMIFP is one of the few NO DRAMA zones on this site and I'm sure most on here would like to keep it that way. I don't know about southern words or northern words, far as I knew southern words were Spanish. I know I probably just threw gas on the fire but believe me thats not my intention. Seriously look at the stuff you wrote and what you wrote it over and quit looking at what the other guy did to make you do it. Were all responsible for our own actions.

16. den007

den007 Active Member

Gameover.....I was thinking about your words last night, and it hits me as perfect sense to keep TWIFP a kind of sanctuary or "no-critique" zone. I did not think a mild comment about forms and why Phillips are not the best was okay, but I see now how enraged some folks can get over what I perceive as nothing. According to my "buddy" those are not AP forms, so I am at fault here for making mention.

You are absolutely correct in keeping The Week in Fish Pictures as simply a format to display work. That is something that, after some thought, I can fully appreciate.

As for threatening comments........again, pathetic.

I better start training so I don't get a "whoopin."

Attached Files:

• guns.jpg
      guns.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  17. Is that a replica or a skin mount?

If that's your training you might be on the right track! Work and get your lifting in at the same time. I'm not too good with my saltwater fish. Is that a redfish?