1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

charcoal sticks

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Apr 3, 2012.

1. What is the recommended brand of charcoal stick for making the black bars on largemouth bass? I've watched the Rick Crane video but seems I cannpot find whatever brand he uses. The softest I can find locally still seems to hard to get the deeper black look. If I try to apply to much it chips the paint. Thanks in advance!

2. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

sure your using a soft stick?.....pretty sure the soft one would break if your applied that much pressure....i use Windsor and newton med vine charcoal sticks....remember the charcoal is only used for a guide...after you soften it its more a gray color anyway...then you apply a light seal coat of lacquer

3. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Hobby Lobby, Windsor/Newton.

4. Thanks guys, figured there was something better!

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yep, those are it and they work really nice.

6. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

As I recall, you go over the charcoal using scale detail black with an airbrush in a random pattern.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Look for vine charcoal, it is different that the small short 1/4" sticks, vine charcoal is actually charred grapevine.

8. I use black chalk pastels

9. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

@twiggy ...i plan to try using chalk pastels on my next fish, using a q-tip....i been experimeting with them...i happen to have a quart jar full of pearl essence powder....mixing it with the pastels looks almost like the pearl-ex powders....only thing is can't make a duo color out of them

10. I love them, I use the edge of a sculpting tool and scrape them to a powder, and apply them with a brush, you can even mix colors by mixing them real well and tint pearl ex powders to a more suitable color when painting eyes, they seem to stick alot better than charcoal....I am attaching a pic of a smallmouth and a walleye I used them on, the smalley I did the markings in black and brown chalk pastels mixed, and the walleye the same thing, the only paint on the walleye is a base coat of gold for the markings and a wash of black to darken the back and some white for the fins , the rest is a mix of brown and black chalk pastels and pearl ex powders....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Damn Twiggy that smallmouth painting is impressive! Nothing wrong with the walleye either but it's kind of skinny. ;D

12. the walleye is a redo of one of my first fish....it was a real piece of crap to begin with lol...thanks for the compliment!

13. Thanks guys! I got the willow charcoal and am amazed at the difference. Very easy handling and does an awesome job!